10 Things Every Beat Producer Should Do

1. 2 years ago

Kid V

20 Jul 2016 User since 2015 Venice Beach California + 392 RP
    Edited 2 years ago by Kid V

So, not really. But these are the 10 things that keep ME straight and has helped me achieve everything I want for my beat business and keep me honest.

1. Mindset.
    Don't ask yourself if you are good enough, ask yourself if you are willing to do hard work. If nobody believes in you, then I'll be the first to tell you, "I believe in you". In the beginning, courage is the most important thing you need to start your own company. People will tell you why you will fail or why your product sucks. It’s important that you find the right balance of listening to valuable feedback (and searching for it) and at the same time ignoring the naysayers.

2. Invest
    It takes money to make money. You need to invest on your own website, your own domain name, beat player, design, etc. Beat producers have an AMAZING opportunity because of low overheads and high margins. You have access to a worldwide market 24/7

Investing is not all money, some of the best investment is your time, and time is money. When I first started, it cost roughly $300 for the whole thing including the logo, Soundgine, domain, and the website. You can get it done for half that though.

3. Keep Cool
    Ever want to snap back at a rude email? Ever want to throw F-bombs to someone that disrespects you? Well being a business owner means that you have to rise above all that garbage. All it takes is for a bitter customer to screen shot a vulgar response of yours and spread it via social media putting a black mark on your brand. We live is a different world now, people are out to ruin brands just because. The best response to garbage is the same as actual garbage, throw it away (delete the email, block the sender)

4. Don't Spam
    It's much easier to ruin a beat business than build a well noticed successful one. If you do something that is automated, do it conservatively. For example, don't automate Twitter direct messages. Keep sending newsletter to your email list to twice a month and make them count.

5. Allow Your Brain to be a Sponge
    You may be a good producer, but let your ego block you from learning from other people. You have no idea how many other producers that think they are some "hard shit" and don't need any lessons from anybody else.

6. Accept Losing Battles
    This includes not making sales for weeks at a time, this means no responses from newsletters that you send out. Every business including Google, Apple and Facebook have had rough times from the start. The sooner you accept you will lose battles, the better your frame of mind will be overall.

Know that with hard work, this won't be the case later on.

7. Be Smart About Money
    At first....You don't need dark cherry wood desks, you don't need fancy cars or over the top equipment. Your bank balance is the life blood of your business. Watch every dollar and check for any unnecessary expenses. Don't act like you made it until you actually do. If you need a separate part-time job to fuel your passion as a beat maker, so be it.

8. Be Your Own Empire
    Teaming up with other producers sometimes is a simple act of desperation and defeat. I know the field and talked to hundreds of producers at every level. Build a brand and make it so that brand can stand tall using your own name. I'm not saying never collaborate, but you don't ever want to be known as that main producer's "other guy" that makes little to half of what you are actually capable of making.

9. Devil is in the Details
    Have a great logo and something memorable. Keep your website free of advertisements and stay away from that god awful Wix hosting. Your website should not have a million tabs and graphics that compete for attention from your beat store. Get a reliable and better converting beat store (Soundgine's M7 )

10. Market. Market. Market.
    There’s no point building a platform if you’re not willing to use it. You can’t be timid when it comes to marketing and self-promotion. Do everything you can to get your content and products in front of as many eyes as possible! Create a fanpage, post on Twitter, and be active on Instagram. Utilize the free downloads to gain emails, and create a newsletter with unbelievable deals, build lasting relationships.

When you are not making sales, great deals are a must until you build your brand up. Crawl before you walk.

You won't find links to my website, links to buy other information or other self-promotion on this thread. Take this list any way you want, but this is what I followed from making zero money to making 47k (28K through Soundgine)

I never paid for any bullshit courses and keep to this list 100%. Common sense goes a long way in any business you get into, there is no exception to selling beats. Don't think you have to enroll in programs to get your business up or special software to get you that edge. Make high-quality beats, and the rest fall in place.

Much Love
    - V

2. minty

20 Jul 2016 User since 2016 + 390 RP

Everyone should read this no matter what level you're on. This needs to be pinned.

3. Ibsenproducer

20 Jul 2016 Power Contributor User since 2016 Venezuela + 2109 RP

'@Kid V' Awesome Post, True Story!!! :-D thank for post !!

4. Kid V

20 Jul 2016 User since 2015 Venice Beach California + 392 RP

@Ibsenproducer ';' @Kid V' Awesome Post, True Story!!! :-D thank for post !!

You're welcome!

5. 80z

20 Jul 2016 User since 2015 + 863 RP

@Kid V' 3. Keep Cool
    Ever want to snap back at a rude email? Ever want to throw F-bombs to someone that disrespects you? Well being a business owner means that you have to rise above all that garbage. All it takes is for a bitter customer to screen shot a vulgar response of yours and spread it via social media putting a black mark on your brand. We live is a different world now, people are out to ruin brands just because. The best response to garbage is the same as actual garbage, throw it away (delete the email, block the sender)

Keeping cool in this business is a must! How many times have producers gotten a "Fuck You" email after you send them something.

6. minty

21 Jul 2016 User since 2016 + 390 RP

Nice write up!

7. DNINE

24 Jul 2016 User since 2016 Brazil + 128 RP

Soooo many useful guides here, but this is my new fav. Thank you' @Kid V'
    I see producers on practically every age bracket really fuck things up for themselves. I see them pop off on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram no have no idea they are doing is hurting themselves.

Thick skin is essential for any business. You can't have a 7th grade locker room fight mentality.

8. breadoflifemusic

29 Jul 2016 User since 2015 Detroit, MI + 10 RP

No Matter HOW DOPE Your are! There's ALWAYS another producer working his or her butt off getting the placements, the artists sales, the fan base built quickly with LOYAL Fans who ACTUALLY SPEND MONEY when they hit your website!!! So STAY Focused. Start Marketing. Don't EVER Stop Marketing. Stick With What Works! #WORDSOFWISDOM
    '
    @Kid' V Great Post and Wisdom!

Blessings-Don

9. Elemental

29 Jul 2016 User since 2016 San Diego + 162 RP

True story' @breadoflifemusic'

Competition is out there no doubt but one thing you can always count on is producers that are not patient to drop out of the race leaving you a greater opportunity. Do whatever you need to do to stay focused as' @breadoflifemusic' said.

God bless.

10. breadoflifemusic

29 Jul 2016 User since 2015 Detroit, MI + 10 RP

Amen to that' @Elemental'! Everyday NEW Opps open up, but Fellow Producers are we READY to SEIZE them? I AM.

11. Des

11 Sep 2016 User since 2015 + 438 RP
    Edited 2 years ago by Des

Excellent write up! bookmarked. So many producers are into gimmicky programs and forget what's really important.

12. All Star

12 Sep 2016 User since 2016 + 128 RP

This is the realist post. I truly think producers are always looking for the magic bullet to make sales when there is no magic bullet. All you need to know and focus on is in' @Kid V' 's post.

13. Technowax

5 Feb 2017 User since 2016 Los Angeles + 239 RP

Printed and pinned on the wall!

14. Sound Variety

7 Feb 2017 User since 2015 USA + 865 RP

Dope! Thanks' @Kid V' great insight / perspective.

15. Sound Variety

7 Feb 2017 User since 2015 USA + 865 RP

#7 is GOLD.' @Kid V'

16. Tone

10 Feb 2017 User since 2016 Florida USA + 771 RP

11. Patience

If you think you can register a domain name, plop a beat store on your website and get sales immediately you're in for a rude awakening. Selling beats is a marathon not a sprint. Myself and ALL of my producer friends took almost 6 months to gain traction, if you lack patience selling ANYTHING online might not be your thing.

Take it from a producer that has made thousands online.

17. Tone

10 Feb 2017 User since 2016 Florida USA + 771 RP

BTW' @Kid V' The "10 Things List" really is a solid one. Definitely a Co-Sign.

18. Katt

14 Mar 2017 User since 2016 + 179 RP

This so needs to be pinned! Printed and tacked on my blackboard. Sometimes I need a visual reminder to keep me focused.

19. Kid V

14 Mar 2017 User since 2015 Venice Beach California + 392 RP

My goodness, it's almost been a year since my original post! Where has the time gone? Glad my post has found it useful for some of you. I still follow my guide as commandments and has served me well.

20. 80z

15 Mar 2017 User since 2015 + 863 RP

Great list :)

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!