A Real Guide To Selling Beats 2018

1. ‹ Older
  2. 3 years ago

xii

4 Apr 2016 User since 2015 + 305 RP

@grim' Accept your limitations so you can surpass them.

This.

3. 8-Bit Crab

4 Apr 2016 User since 2016 San Francisco + 193 RP

Let's face it, it's going to take a little investment to get your beat business going so if you are in a bind financially, I would get a part time job to fund your passion.

Do some keyword research and figure out what keywords to target and infuse that within VUE or your own website.

Stay away from free websites as this will create a negative effect on your branding. Crawl before you walk and focus on building a small core audience perhaps a tight niche a build from there.

4. musicbox

4 Apr 2016 User since 2014 Barcelona, Spain + 923 RP

Keep your website simple. For example, this producer has worked with major artists and makes a lot of money selling instrumentals.

Not a real fan of his header image, but this is how (in my opinion) a beat website should be.
    http://www.timelessbeats.com/

So for all you VUE users, strip it so that it's minimal by removing unneeded sections. All you need is a header, player, and footer.

Let your beats do the talking. Nothing kills your sales faster than a cluttered website.

5. 80z

4 Apr 2016 User since 2015 + 863 RP

Stop fantasizing about money first of all.

The reason why you create music is because you love it remember? The way I did was tell myself, I'm not going to make any money for the first year. **but actually did**

I focused on creating a catalog of music with expanding genres to attract a larger fanbase plus I love crossing over because I love the challenge and it forces you to learn. I'm telling you, every time you master a technique you are worth that much more and that is money. The goal is to be damn good at making music. You want listeners to feel the hairs on the back of their neck while listening to your beats because it's that infectious.

I also had another job to finance my beat business. If you live at home take advantage of it because one day you'll have to pay rent.

I know producers that are so concerned about making money that it actually effects the production because they produced stressed and they don't even know it.

Don't ever pretend you know everything and be humble, learn from other producers. It's like those Kung Fu movies where the fighter has to go through so much to be a premier fighter. During training the person endures defeat, humiliation, physical punishment, etc.

Point is, you need to put in the time. Selling beats is a patience game, and if your beats are good and master marketing your product then YOU WILL sell beats, just don't get frustrated if you don't sell anything for the first several months.

6. Des

4 Apr 2016 User since 2015 + 438 RP

My experience is producers want money before putting in the groundwork. Pirating FL Studio and uploading weak beats to your beat player is an end game.

7. 8-Bit Crab

4 Apr 2016 User since 2016 San Francisco + 193 RP

I think producers that fail are the ones that can't weather the cost of not selling beats.

8. Des

4 Apr 2016 User since 2015 + 438 RP
    Edited 3 years ago by Des

@8-Bit Crab' I think producers that fail are the ones that can't weather the cost of not selling beats.

Those are the producers that would have failed anyway. If you want to be your own boss and make money in your sleep then they need to make sacrifices for that type of lifestyle.

As you mentioned earlier, get yourself a "typical" job to fund your dream job. It's what I did and has served me extremely well.

9. OxygenBeats

4 Apr 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 3556 RP

'@grim' if your productions really suck, you will fail. That being said, you can succeed without your production being great/amazing. You can be very mediocre and have really great success.

10. grim

4 Apr 2016 User since 2016 + 380 RP

'@OxygenBeats' I suppose you have a point, you can make some sales if you are decent enough. My view is that the game has changed and from I've seen there's more and more quality stuff out there, so you have to up your game.

11. OxygenBeats

6 Apr 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 3556 RP

'@grim' yeah, i hear ya. And I also agree with what you're saying. I just wanted to point out that talented marketing can make up for a lack of musical skill. The more musical skill you lack, the more marketing skill you need. But it's sickening at how well it can work. Makes me wanna puke when I see shitty product(s) being sold like crazy.

12. countmorris

27 Apr 2016 User since 2015 Orlando, Florida + 668 RP

Great advice ! Definitely a good read for anyone starting out or feeling lost.

13. Tyson

19 Jun 2016 User since 2016 Hawaii + 804 RP

I followed a lot of these suggestions over the past 2 months and sales and piling up. Think producers are looking for a one bullet solution but its about a bunch of things put together.

Anybody new looking to boost sales, follow this thread B)

14. wellmein

24 Jun 2016 User since 2014 + 187 RP

Realy great tips! Now I know I do things right. I am with soundgine since 4 september 2013 and at that time knew this is going to be a long path till i get the wanted results. Being patient is the most important, because there were beats sold out years after submission.
    Soundgine itself is a great example. I remember Euphony :) it was just 3 players that were amazing anyway. But now Soundgine has grown a super mega ultra tool that helps now a lot of producers I am 100% sure.
    Congrats Soundgine and Producers. We met the right partners )

15. BVB09

29 Jun 2016 User since 2015 San Franscico + 138 RP

@wellmein' Realy great tips! Now I know I do things right. I am with soundgine since 4 september 2013 and at that time knew this is going to be a long path till i get the wanted results. Being patient is the most important, because there were beats sold out years after submission.
    Soundgine itself is a great example. I remember Euphony :) it was just 3 players that were amazing anyway. But now Soundgine has grown a super mega ultra tool that helps now a lot of producers I am 100% sure.
    Congrats Soundgine and Producers. We met the right partners )

Well said' @wellmein'
    You are proof that with hard work you can do whatever the hell you want. Man you remember when it was Euphony too? I remember when it was dreamlinestudio.net !

Do you remember it that far?

16. wellmein

1 Jul 2016 User since 2014 + 187 RP

Unfortunately I dont remember dreamlinestudio )) but i am glad i met this guys .. honestly )

17. 2 years ago

Sergio

13 Oct 2016 User since 2016 + 79 RP

Wow, I spent an hour going though this takes notes! There are some real gems in here. Gracias!

18. Crowzero

30 Nov 2016 User since 2016 + 40 RP

@Sergio' Wow, I spent an hour going though this takes notes! There are some real gems in here. Gracias!

I did too! This has helped out tremendously.

19. last year

Des

24 May 2018 User since 2015 + 438 RP

This is so relevant even in 2018.

20. Liz Vega

31 May 2018 User since 2016 + 987 RP
    Edited last year by Liz Vega

@Des' As you mentioned earlier, get yourself a "typical" job to fund your dream job. It's what I did and has served me extremely well.

This is the truth, but i would like to ask you something...i guess that you meant a part-time job,so like 5 hours a day, right? how do you manage your "typical" job and the music production? Atm i can do only music and even if i work like 12-13 hours a day, sometimes i think that i don't have enough time, so how can you do both?

21. 8 months ago

fenixprod

29 Oct 2018 User since 2018 Lithuania + 561 RP

@Liz Vega' This is the truth, but i would like to ask you something...i guess that you meant a part-time job,so like 5 hours a day, right? how do you manage your "typical" job and the music production? Atm i can do only music and even if i work like 12-13 hours a day, sometimes i think that i don't have enough time, so how can you do both?

Dear Liz, most probably I can't say that I'm a true example, because i'm still in the beginning stages of getting of setting up my musical startup, but as a men and a husband, and a person who wants to read books, go to fitness, spend time with family strive, travel and prosper in all different directions, the question of time management and discipline became a KEY for me.

There is a book called "7 habits of highly effective people" Steven Covey, it is not related to any "positive thinking" type of books, it is about real and practical steps to determine:
    1) How you live
    2) What really really important for you to achieve
    3) How to discipline yourself and take actions

Shortly speaking, for me it was a really eye opening tools to cut most lazy b*it in my life and spend days with actual purposes. Maybe the methods of that book will help you too. But remember - Balanced Determination and Discipline are keys for successful life (no mater you are musician or a not).

I'm still working on a day job, but I wake up at 5 am and spend my morning with music, evenings with a family. It is hard, but the sacrifices worth it, i believe.

or Sign Up to reply!