A Real Guide To Selling Beats 2018

1. ‹ Older
  2. 3 years ago

godlike

24 Nov 2015 User since 2015 New York + 842 RP
    Edited 3 years ago by Soundgine

Spamming artist with email is a huge problem. Producers have no idea, every email address they spam is a way of saying, "Hello, please block my email, I want nothing to do with you"

Producers should ONLY email artists that opted in. Even then, email ONCE a week.

Anybody else have REAL power tips?

3. Darkair

24 Nov 2015 User since 2015 San Francisco + 304 RP

#5 Be Consistent

I personally know a few friends that are natural musicians and can absolutely make fantastic beats but the problem is some of them lack patience. I'd say 90% of producers just say f*ck it after a few months of not selling beats.

It sounds ULTRA generic to say, "Just keep plugging away" but its true, you have to. But you have to do it right, meaning get a proper brand people remember like I don't know..."Fire Dragon Music" and have a cool logo of a red dragon" Silly example, but you get the idea. People have a hard time remembering brands, so the more memorable, the better.

Use Soundgine's free download option on the player and collect those emails. Be active on social media and DON'T get discouraged if you see no traction for a few months.

Two major factors for success.

1. Product Quality (Your Beats)
    2. YOU

As to finding out if you have quality products, post your beats and have other critique them, don't be offended by negative reviews, learn from them.

You can post beats on this forum as I remember from this forum

[embed] src=http://soundgine.com/@eplayer/euplayer/pod/2 width=500 height=250 frameborder=0 style=border:none scrolling=no[/embed]

Posting beats on forum instructions here.

4. daroobeats

25 Nov 2015 Power Contributor User since 2015 Atlanta, GA + 1820 RP

Well Wrote.

5. dame muzik

26 Nov 2015 User since 2015 Belfast United Kingdom + 248 RP

Loved this post thanks' @VPower'

6. artisans

1 Dec 2015 User since 2015 + 113 RP

Every amateur and pro should stick to this simple guide.

7. Deleted 3 years ago by royaltwinsproduction
  8. Deleted 3 years ago by royaltwinsproduction
  9. [deleted]

8 Jan 2016
    Deleted 3 years ago by Soundgine
  10. godlike

19 Jan 2016 User since 2015 New York + 842 RP

Well done, completely missed this.

11. minty

4 Apr 2016 User since 2016 + 408 RP

Totally agree on being consistent with your beat selling business. The first thing producers usually do when they are not selling beats is blame everything else except for their marketing.

Producers blame the beat store, their own website, what they ate the night before when the problem it clearly them.

I read somewhere in this forum is to be prepared for the long haul.

12. Breeze

4 Apr 2016 User since 2015 London + 846 RP

I swear, I printed this guide and taped it to my wall.

The only part I lack is going out and doing old fashion marketing. I knew the manager for Guitar Center a few years ago and I was able to put my business cards near the front entrance. Let me tell you, it generated tons of custom work and kept me busy.

People think it's not worth going out and market old school but it's still very effective and relevant in today's world.

13. grim

4 Apr 2016 User since 2016 + 380 RP

Ask well-established musicians and producers if your beats can hold up to industry standards because if your beats suck, everything else won't matter. You might make a couple sales from artists that think it's a solid beat but wont hold up in a pro circuit.

I guarantee you the reason why most producers fail is because their production is just not good. The good news is that if you suck, you can most definitely get better, but are you open to learn?

Accept your limitations so you can surpass them.

14. xii

4 Apr 2016 User since 2015 + 305 RP

@grim' Accept your limitations so you can surpass them.

This.

15. 8-Bit Crab

4 Apr 2016 User since 2016 San Francisco + 193 RP

Let's face it, it's going to take a little investment to get your beat business going so if you are in a bind financially, I would get a part time job to fund your passion.

Do some keyword research and figure out what keywords to target and infuse that within VUE or your own website.

Stay away from free websites as this will create a negative effect on your branding. Crawl before you walk and focus on building a small core audience perhaps a tight niche a build from there.

16. musicbox

4 Apr 2016 User since 2014 Barcelona, Spain + 923 RP

Keep your website simple. For example, this producer has worked with major artists and makes a lot of money selling instrumentals.

Not a real fan of his header image, but this is how (in my opinion) a beat website should be.
    http://www.timelessbeats.com/

So for all you VUE users, strip it so that it's minimal by removing unneeded sections. All you need is a header, player, and footer.

Let your beats do the talking. Nothing kills your sales faster than a cluttered website.

17. 80z

4 Apr 2016 User since 2015 + 863 RP

Stop fantasizing about money first of all.

The reason why you create music is because you love it remember? The way I did was tell myself, I'm not going to make any money for the first year. **but actually did**

I focused on creating a catalog of music with expanding genres to attract a larger fanbase plus I love crossing over because I love the challenge and it forces you to learn. I'm telling you, every time you master a technique you are worth that much more and that is money. The goal is to be damn good at making music. You want listeners to feel the hairs on the back of their neck while listening to your beats because it's that infectious.

I also had another job to finance my beat business. If you live at home take advantage of it because one day you'll have to pay rent.

I know producers that are so concerned about making money that it actually effects the production because they produced stressed and they don't even know it.

Don't ever pretend you know everything and be humble, learn from other producers. It's like those Kung Fu movies where the fighter has to go through so much to be a premier fighter. During training the person endures defeat, humiliation, physical punishment, etc.

Point is, you need to put in the time. Selling beats is a patience game, and if your beats are good and master marketing your product then YOU WILL sell beats, just don't get frustrated if you don't sell anything for the first several months.

18. Des

4 Apr 2016 User since 2015 + 467 RP

My experience is producers want money before putting in the groundwork. Pirating FL Studio and uploading weak beats to your beat player is an end game.

19. 8-Bit Crab

4 Apr 2016 User since 2016 San Francisco + 193 RP

I think producers that fail are the ones that can't weather the cost of not selling beats.

20. Des

4 Apr 2016 User since 2015 + 467 RP
    Edited 3 years ago by Des

@8-Bit Crab' I think producers that fail are the ones that can't weather the cost of not selling beats.

Those are the producers that would have failed anyway. If you want to be your own boss and make money in your sleep then they need to make sacrifices for that type of lifestyle.

As you mentioned earlier, get yourself a "typical" job to fund your dream job. It's what I did and has served me extremely well.

21. OxygenBeats

4 Apr 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 3556 RP

'@grim' if your productions really suck, you will fail. That being said, you can succeed without your production being great/amazing. You can be very mediocre and have really great success.

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!