A Real Guide To Selling Beats 2018

1. 3 years ago

VPower

1 Feb 2015 User since 2014 Los Angeles + 823 RP
    Edited 4 months ago by Soundgine

Guide to Selling Beats 2018

1. Be Professional: Get yourself a paid website, not from free websites like Wix and Webs with banners that say "Get Your Free Website" here. Nobody is going to take you seriously with free ads plastered everywhere.

2. Go To Local Shows : Hook up with local artists and network. There is nothing more valuable than personal relationships. Hand out CD's with your tagged beats and include your email and phone number and website in a text file.

3. Stop Email Spamming: Start moving away from blindly emailing artist to "check out your beats" rarely do they click on those links anyway a they usually get blasted everyday with them. Never force a sale using email spamming or blasts, sales should occur naturally through good networking and relationship building. Artists buy from producers they know and trust, build these kinds of relationships.

4. Get Off The Paypal Buttons: I get that it's free but having the user type in the name of the beat and using the Paypal button is amateur and not user friendly. Paypal buttons have less functional and are not automated. Get something professional and fully automated like the Soundgine system.

5. Be Consistent: Working hard for a few months doesn't mean anything. The producers that make it in this business have been grinding it out for a couple of years. Before starting your music production business you need to train your mind for the long haul. Do you really think that by adding a beat to the Soundgine player will put you on the next episode of MTV Cribs? Nope.

6. Build & Sustain Your Presence/Brand: People need to get used to your brand. Create a logo for pay someone a few bucks to make a great brand logo people will remember. Get on the usual social media networks like Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. Don't worry if you're not getting post messages or new Fanpage likes that will come later. The idea is to get people used to seeing your brand and don't let up, we are talking about a year or two.

7. Quality Beats & Plenty Of It: Better to create 1 great beat a week than 3 weak ones just to have more inventory. Artists are getting smart and have an ear for what sounds good. If your beats are weak you can forget about points 1-6 right now. Get better, practice and profit. If you haven't seen the movie "Whiplash" please do. It shows the dedication and determination to become better at your craft.

8. Expand Your Genre: You're good at Trap music, cool. Now it's time to think like you're in the music business and cater to the rest of the world. Having a beat catalog with wide ranges of music will attract more artist and naturally will bring in more sales. This will be a great opportunity for you to learn new music techniques, besides it's all about growing as a musician anyway. Get out of your comfort zone.

9. Spread But Funnel Home: Spread your music out there on sites like Soundcloud and Soundclick with the intention of having them come to your main website. Soundcloud and Soundclick should NEVER be your main website. Having your own website to critical to your reputation and branding. You don't ever want to be labeled as just some "Soundclick producer", you want them to remember your brand name.

10. Avoid The Scam Snakepit: Stay away from snakes that say you can build your dream studio by paying for training and self help services that are nothing more than pyramid schemes like Empower Network. There are no shortcuts to success and self education is free, remember that. Imagine someone trying to charge you for the air you breathe..like air, knowledge is free.

Every day you work on your business is another day closer to the success you want. Being your own boss, not punching a timeclock and being able to support yourself and family doing what you love. But you need to approach your business correctly and efficiently.

Special thanks to the Soundgine Staff for providing real knowledge, platform, and forum for music producers.

2. musicbox

1 Feb 2015 User since 2014 Barcelona, Spain + 883 RP

Excellent write up, thank you. I know it's hard to keep focused sometimes but in order to live that good lifestyle, the hardcore grind is a must. If it was that easy, everybody would be driving around in a BMW.

3. [deleted]

2 Feb 2015 User since 1970

Nice tips!

4. maseedproductions

6 Feb 2015 User since 2015 Inland Empire, Ca. + 135 RP

I ditched those paypal buttons today. Site looks so much cleaner and professional without them.

5. Razor

13 Jul 2015 User since 2015 Texas + 146 RP
    Edited 3 years ago by Razor

Excellent guide!' @VPower'

6. legendarybeatz

13 Jul 2015 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 1953 RP

Great guide' @VPower' Thank you for that

7. Royal

13 Jul 2015 User since 2015 San Diego California + 328 RP

Basic but powerful info. You'd be surprised how many upcoming producers don't know these simple tips.

8. Great advice!

9. Baobao Bitz

30 Jul 2015 User since 2015 Atlanta, GA (USA) + 42 RP

'@VPower' great post! Smart backlink :)

10. godlike

24 Nov 2015 User since 2015 New York + 839 RP
    Edited 3 years ago by Soundgine

Spamming artist with email is a huge problem. Producers have no idea, every email address they spam is a way of saying, "Hello, please block my email, I want nothing to do with you"

Producers should ONLY email artists that opted in. Even then, email ONCE a week.

Anybody else have REAL power tips?

11. Darkair

24 Nov 2015 User since 2015 San Francisco + 268 RP

#5 Be Consistent

I personally know a few friends that are natural musicians and can absolutely make fantastic beats but the problem is some of them lack patience. I'd say 90% of producers just say f*ck it after a few months of not selling beats.

It sounds ULTRA generic to say, "Just keep plugging away" but its true, you have to. But you have to do it right, meaning get a proper brand people remember like I don't know..."Fire Dragon Music" and have a cool logo of a red dragon" Silly example, but you get the idea. People have a hard time remembering brands, so the more memorable, the better.

Use Soundgine's free download option on the player and collect those emails. Be active on social media and DON'T get discouraged if you see no traction for a few months.

Two major factors for success.

1. Product Quality (Your Beats)
    2. YOU

As to finding out if you have quality products, post your beats and have other critique them, don't be offended by negative reviews, learn from them.

You can post beats on this forum as I remember from this forum

[embed] src=http://soundgine.com/@eplayer/euplayer/pod/2 width=500 height=250 frameborder=0 style=border:none scrolling=no[/embed]

Posting beats on forum instructions here.

12. daroobeats

25 Nov 2015 Power Contributor User since 2015 Atlanta, GA + 1820 RP

Well Wrote.

13. dame muzik

26 Nov 2015 User since 2015 Belfast United Kingdom + 248 RP

Loved this post thanks' @VPower'

14. artisans

1 Dec 2015 User since 2015 + 113 RP

Every amateur and pro should stick to this simple guide.

15. Deleted 3 years ago by royaltwinsproduction
  16. Deleted 3 years ago by royaltwinsproduction
  17. 2 years ago

[deleted]

8 Jan 2016
    Deleted 2 years ago by Soundgine
  18. godlike

19 Jan 2016 User since 2015 New York + 839 RP

Well done, completely missed this.

19. minty

4 Apr 2016 User since 2016 + 377 RP

Totally agree on being consistent with your beat selling business. The first thing producers usually do when they are not selling beats is blame everything else except for their marketing.

Producers blame the beat store, their own website, what they ate the night before when the problem it clearly them.

I read somewhere in this forum is to be prepared for the long haul.

20. Breeze

4 Apr 2016 User since 2015 London + 800 RP

I swear, I printed this guide and taped it to my wall.

The only part I lack is going out and doing old fashion marketing. I knew the manager for Guitar Center a few years ago and I was able to put my business cards near the front entrance. Let me tell you, it generated tons of custom work and kept me busy.

People think it's not worth going out and market old school but it's still very effective and relevant in today's world.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!