Don't Use Wix

1. last year

_pm

29 Apr 2016 User since 2016 + 553 RP
    Edited last year by _pm

Wix's code is so horribly atrocious

I get it. You might have tried Wix because it was free and once you had everything setup you just paid for it. Some of you get Wix because it's easy to build websites through its drag and drop widgets. The problem is when you add dynamic content of any kind including Soundgine, Wix chokes. But it's not just Soundgine, it's anything that has an iFrame that involves exchanges server information. To put is bluntly, Wix's code is horribly atrocious and it's a SEO nitemare, Google it.

So if not Wix, then what Mr. Wizard?

You have 3 solid choices, but before choosing any of these, I recommend Hostgator or Bluehost for hosting. Seriously, Hostgator has a phone number so you can talk to them 24/7 (fantastic support). Plans start at $5-$8 a month. For 99% of you, this is all you need.

1. Install a HTML template. You can find thousands of pagekits , HTML CSS Templates , you can download the kit, upload to your server and edit your details. The advantage of this is that the code is clean and there are no Wix widgets that screw with the way a website should work. Try to find a responsive design type HTML template

2. Install Wordpress. When you buy into a host like Hostgator, there's an option inside the cpanel to auto install Wordpress. How easy is that?

3. VUE. VUE is Soundgine's own single page responsive website. It's light, fast and it optimized for its own beat store. You save money on this option by not paying that $8 a month for hosting.

I don’t mean to target Wix specifically but the same goes with all website builders. I’ve been in the web development world for close to 20 years (I know, I’M OLD) so I know a little about this field. Lastly, none of the companies I’ve mentioned have paid me, this is straight up knowledge.

By all means, if your only goal is to put up an informational page where you just have text and some images, Wix is fine for that. But for 99% of you that need 3rd party embed codes, look elsewhere.

Should you use Wix or Weebly?

-image-

2. mckeeverbeatz

29 Apr 2016 User since 2015 Columbus, OH + 502 RP

Great article. Thanks brother! I'm about to kick Wix to the curb. @_pm

3. MC2

29 Apr 2016 User since 2015 + 149 RP

In addition, Wix pages load slow / slow response times specifically.

They use AJAX for mobile responsive which is fine for newer phones but won't play friendly with older phones.

@mckeeverbeatz Great move, that's what we are here for anyway, we watch each other's back.

4. legendarybeatz

29 Apr 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 1924 RP

Hey @_pm Perfect post, one point I would like to add is that since wix is the one in control of your site, with ads and such as well as content, if wix was to shut down, you then have no control of your content. Having your own hosting, gives you control.. You upload your content and you own it. If their are technical issues, you then have support through your hosting. With wix, you are hoping that their company will make it to a new day and your website is safe. Just something extra to consider. Hope all of this helps @mckeeverbeatz

5. Ibsenproducer

29 Apr 2016 Power Contributor User since 2016 Venezuela + 1163 RP

True Story ('<

6. Derrian

29 Apr 2016 User since 2015 Answer + 366 RP

Should you use Wix or Weebly?

-image-

7. minty

29 Apr 2016 User since 2016 + 311 RP
    Edited last year by minty

@_pm Trying to tell producers to stay off Wix is like staying away from a dragon.

-image-

8. Breeze

29 Apr 2016 User since 2015 London + 535 RP

@Derrian @minty lmao!

Host gator and WordPress is the way to go. $10 a month
    or Soundgine's VUE if you don't need to ftp and want to save that extra $10 a month.

9. fusion

1 May 2016 User since 2016 Florida, USA + 345 RP

Most young producers are looking for anything free and easy. I actually don't think they really know how to go about building a great foundation for a website. For any young producers reading this, follow this guide because I guarantee you, if you go the Wix way, you'll just have to transfer your website to something more suitable.

Just do it right the first time.

10. 80z

23 May 2016 User since 2015 + 819 RP

You get what you pay for. Wix may be easy, but it has horrible infrastructure plus Google search hates them. http://searchengineland.com/google-working-on-fixing-problem-with-wix-web-sites-not-showing-up-in-search-results-233310

Google search is doing a tad better with Wix websites but I have clients that are on Wix that are still destroyed in search ranks.

11. knocksquared

23 May 2016 User since 2014 Atlanta Ga area + 939 RP

In the process of transferring my new Dj Drops site ( teamdjdrops.com ) from Wix to VUE. Wix was so fun to use making the site...then I realized that Google treats WIX like an evil ex wife. I am so thankful my other site for voicetags I built in 2009 was not on WIX because I originally wanted it to be. The VUE page looks cleaner anyway

12. mckeeverbeatz

23 May 2016 User since 2015 Columbus, OH + 502 RP

I'm not sticking up for Wix in any way, or boasting, but when you search keywords "buy hip hop beats", I am the 6th result on the 8th page of Google. I have only had my site for 8 months. Could it be so bad? Either way, I plan on switching to VUE soon to save money.

13. knocksquared

23 May 2016 User since 2014 Atlanta Ga area + 939 RP

@mckeeverbeatz I'm not sticking up for Wix in any way, or boasting, but when you search keywords "buy hip hop beats", I am the 6th result on the 8th page of Google. I have only had my site for 8 months. Could it be so bad? Either way, I plan on switching to VUE soon to save money.

I predict that within 2 weeks after you switch to VUE your rank will be better than it ever was in wix . I bet you will be on at least page 4 .... Then you will answer your own question "could it be so bad" lol

14. mckeeverbeatz

23 May 2016 User since 2015 Columbus, OH + 502 RP

I definitely plan on transferring my domain over to VUE soon. The only issues I have with VUE is lack of customization.

15. Tyson

20 Jun 2016 User since 2016 Hawaii + 397 RP
    Edited last year by Tyson

Made a switch away from WIX last month and oh my! Went from page 35 to page 2 on Google.

16. mckeeverbeatz

20 Jun 2016 User since 2015 Columbus, OH + 502 RP

@Tyson What platform did you switch to?

17. rustyglock

11 Nov 2016 Power Contributor User since 2016 Pocatello, ID, USA + 2002 RP

I'm way late to this conversation, but I switched FROM Wix to Vue, due to how badly Wix performed. I wish I would've known earlier... You live and you learn. Just glad that I'm able to have a light and quick site now.

I agree -- Wix is not the way to go if you're going to put a beat store in your site.

18. Sergio

11 Nov 2016 User since 2016 + 79 RP
    Edited last year by Sergio

They would be ok, but they can't handle a proper iframe embed code. That's basic 101 stuff.

19. _pm

19 Nov 2016 User since 2016 + 553 RP

My favorite response to everything

-image-

20. 11 months ago

Velocity

29 Nov 2016 User since 2015 New York + 107 RP

Any update with Wix handling embed codes properly? Anybody using it successfully?

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!