FL Studio. All You Need? Or IS it for the weak.

1. last year

fusion

23 Feb 2016 User since 2016 Florida, USA + 345 RP

I see a lot of people clowning the software, but seeing that this forum is the truth do you guys think FL Studio is sufficient enough for music production? Part of me feels that people get Pro Tools because it's more expensive or has "the name"

You guys feel like you have other software because you feel you might be laughed at as a "FL USER"?

2. FREDKRUSH

23 Feb 2016 User since 2015 NYC + 143 RP

I believe it's the producer and not the software behind the production. I've listened to many well produced beats that were made using fl studio. Hit-Boy , 9th Wonder both use fl studio and made hits with Jay-z and Beyonce. Doesn't matter what you use cause in the end its the skill and results that really matter.

3. daroobeats

23 Feb 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 Atlanta, GA + 1814 RP

All my production is within FL Studios. The DAW for FL is one of the most sufficient and open programs ever created. Yo @fusion @FREDKRUSH is right. Its the Producer.

4. VPower

24 Feb 2016 User since 2014 Los Angeles + 789 RP

It's purely past reputation.

It's early version was just a beat sequencer and a very bad one at that, but those days are long gone. It's not until version 6 and 7 did it really become serious software, that's when it became a competitive DAW.

Around the same time FL Studio has been a notoriously easy software to pirate that opened the floodgates of new "producers" that had no clue what they were doing that really sucked.

So now you have the consensus that FL Studio was horrible software because and ultimately blame FL Studio as being the reason instead of the producers' lack of experience.

After awhile it formed the bad reputation and opinion of many producers that either have never used FL or haven't used it in the last decade.

FL Studio is a very capable piece of software.

5. OxygenBeats

24 Feb 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 3532 RP

Yes, I agree with @VPower 100%. It used to be pretty bad, but it's grown waaaaay faster than any other DAW. I used Cubase, but I'm really jealous of a few features that FL has the Cubase doesn't now.

As far as getting Pro Tools, you could still get it. You're right; people DO get it because it has "the name". But that's actually a good reason to get it. With pro tools, you can share session files which contain the project and plugins and all the settings. So, it makes sharing projects very powerful between producers or studios. And most recording studios and mixing studios use Pro Tools, so it could come in handy quite often when the recording or mixing studio wants to share stuff with you or vice versa.

All in all, I can't really knock any DAW. Well, maybe Reason for not allowing vst's lol.... but they are all good with their own strengths/weaknesses.. pros/cons.

6. Breeze

24 Feb 2016 User since 2015 London + 535 RP

Thinking it gets a bad wrap for how "easy" it is. it's easy for any kid with a computer to pirate a copy and learn the general ins and outs of it within a few weeks or so. FL Studio gets so much more flak than it deserves, it's an amazing DAW.

7. daroobeats

24 Feb 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 Atlanta, GA + 1814 RP

In love with @Breeze right now.

8. TheRxsing

24 Feb 2016 User since 2016 Montreal, Canada + 70 RP

It's a great DAW all around and you probably won't need anything else if you can get a nice workflow with the software.

9. rfbeat

25 Feb 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 Australia + 1092 RP

@OxygenBeats what features in particular are you jealous of ? (just curious) :)

10. OxygenBeats

26 Feb 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 3532 RP

@rfbeat I kinda mentioned this on your latest post, but I'm mostly jealous of the automation in FL. Also, I like some Image Line vst's, like IL Parametric EQ 2, Harmor, Sytrus, etc... but they're a often a little buggy when ran outside FL Studio. Of course, it would also be cool to have a drum sequencer like in FL Studio.

11. OxygenBeats

@rfbeat also, I'm jealous of Ableton Live's power of macro vst controls.

12. OxygenBeats

And of course, I'm jealous of Pro Tools power to share session files easily between different parties/people.

13. OxygenBeats

All in all, each DAW has something about it I'm generally jealous about. lol

14. rfbeat

28 Feb 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 Australia + 1092 RP

I was discussing with a friend recently that there was a new feature in ableton which would alow for a track to be played at the tempo of an external audio source. so for example a drummers kick drum could control the tempo of the session making what ever has been programmed follow along with the drummers time..

15. rfbeat

So if he slows down the session tempo would follow him etc etc ... pretty cool cool feature :) not sure how well it works but Ive heard good reports

16. PixelSashay

28 Feb 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 2 4 6 + 2160 RP

~I've used almost everything that there is from Audacity, Cool Edit Pro (Now known as Adobe Audition), Mixcraft, Fruity Loops when it was online only, ProTools & some others I can not remember. I've used all the above to either record or make beats. I originally started off using FL though for beat making then switched over to Reason which is what I currently use.

FL is great it really is even though I didn't spend long producing in it. I think one of the reasons why it gets a bad rep is because almost any & everybody can get it easily & for some people that may ring to them as 'cheap' just like what @Breeze mentioned.

Thinking it gets a bad wrap for how "easy" it is. it's easy for any kid with a computer to pirate a copy and learn the general ins and outs of it within a few weeks or so. FL Studio gets so much more flak than it deserves, it's an amazing DAW.

It's kind of like the Virtual DJ & Serato wars where Serato is deemed elite to Virtual DJ because the vast majority started off using Virtual then probably migrated to Serato over time. Some argue Virtual is just a play thing or a start up software to give you a feel for djing but it's lame, it feels plastic or it doesn't look professional etc etc.

ProTools, Studio One & Logic are considered elite because we know professional producers or engineers in the industry who use them & probably made a hit record or hit album & that actually plays a psychological part on how we view a particular software. I mean yes our individual preference based on workflow, features etc ultimately would make the decision on what we use but knowing that our favorite producer or someone we look up to uses a particular DAW can sometimes influences that choice as well.

17. OxygenBeats

28 Feb 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 3532 RP

@rfbeat oh that's cool. I know Cubase has auto tempo detection but I don't think it can be done live.

18. rfbeat

Yeah @OxygenBeats can't do it live with cubase I'm waiting on my friend to let me know how well it tracks as it would be an awesome love tool ;)

19. sixx

29 Feb 2016 User since 2015 New Mexico + 526 RP

DJ Mustard uses FL Studio...he's holding his own.

20. legendarybeatz

13 Mar 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 1924 RP

I saw the title of this post and I was like "gasp" lol. But all of you guys answered as I thought. I love FL And it is all based on the needs of the producer.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!