M6 weight is a big problem..

1. 4 years ago

OxygenBeats

12 Feb 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 3556 RP
    Edited 4 years ago by Soundgine

Hey, I was added to a private conversation with the above title. The conversation is deleted now. I'm not sure if the poster deleted it or if soundgine did, but I wanted to respond to it because in the post, I think it addressed a real issue.

I've noticed my VUE has been loading rather slow lately, so I've been getting rid of sections I think are probably unnecesary. It's helped a little bit, but not for the bulk of it. When I switched to the Engine player, I did in fact notice the overall load speed of VUE skyrocketed. So, it would seem that the thing slowing down the load speed of the page is M6, and you can't move or do anything on the page until M6 has fully loaded.
    '
    @Soundgine' why is this? Is there some reason why M6 is taking so long to load compared to Engine, and in time, can any bugs/problems be worked out so that M6 can be just as fast?

Update: Issue has been resolved by new CSS fixes and optimization in addition to switching to "best performance" mode. Further optimization will be made where we can.

2. Soundgine

12 Feb 2016 Administrator User since 2014 Los Angeles + 17776 RP

Make sure you guys are optimizing your VUE layout, removing unnecessary elements from your page. You have to realize that M6 is pulling information from the database and some of you have a large collection of beats. Not to mention some of you have high quality preview tracks loaded up.

I should make a list of tips you guys should do. Also, we could cut some aspects of the M6 as well for example, killing the comments bar and other elements like Youtube linking, etc....

I brought up your VUE and loaded in less than 3 seconds (including your M6 Player), this using Wifi with 3 out of 4 bars. Not bad at all.

3. OxygenBeats

Edited 4 years ago by OxygenBeats

'@Soundgine' It's not that the service altogether is going slow; just M6 vs Engine. Engine goes way faster.

Are the comments slowing it down that much?

Youtube linking is common on both M6 and Engine, so I don't think that is an issue.

Overall, I love everything about M6. It's just that I just tried swapping out the M6 with Engine, and that fixed my loading speed problems. So, it doesn't really have much to do with anything else on the site. I've already minimized the size of my header/cover photo, and that's pretty much all I had to load on my VUE besides the basics that already exist in VUE.

Is it possible to figure out why it's going slow? We can already cross beat list size and youtube linking off the list, because Engine has to deal with the same thing and it loads fine. And, in the future, could we get the M6 to load as fast or nearly as fast as Engine but still have all it's features?

I guess I should reference' @Codemaker' for this one haha

4. Soundgine

We may have to kill some features to get fractions of a second faster. Honestly, I don't see a big difference of the two in speed but we'll look into it once we finish our current project.

5. Soundgine

I'll be more specific.

M6 has more features that calls the database than Engine. Elements such as the

- Verified Logo
    - Available Discount Icons
    - Star Rating
    - Comments
    - Bouncy Jquery

I could go on, but those are the ones that I can think of immediately. If we want to speed it up we could have some of these features removed by adding them in the exclude list when somebody chooses the "best performance" option. Question is, which feature should we kill?

We could even add an addition mode called "Minimal" that is very stripped down.

Having said all this, I'll have' @Codemaker' once again see if we can strip some weight off tonight.

6. Marketron

12 Feb 2016 User since 2015 San Diego + 234 RP

http://oxygenbeats.soundgine.com/

I literally waited less than 3.7 seconds and I have shitty Cox Internet and yes I cleared my website data and cache. ^_^

7. OxygenBeats

'@Soundgine' well, it's actually a very considerable difference. I thought it was my VUE page because around the same time I also added a few more sections with widgets. Originally I suspected the widgets I added were making it take so long. But more recently, I started suspecting the player. But, this new conversation pointed out that Engine was actually fine, which gives me hope haha.. But I know that the lag I get when going to my page makes even ME want to not go there often, so I'll sure bet it's keeping others from wanting to load my page too.

hmmm, if you could make checkboxes for each of those settings, that might be best. That way, each person could choose for themself. However, if you need to make it an all or nothing type situation, maybe the star rating you could get rid of, because I don't even know 100% if it's showing my own ratings or other people's average, etc... I think it wouldn't be too missed. What is the bouncy Jquery?

The comments are really cool though, so don't get rid of that if you can help it. And the youtube video links aren't even an issue, so don't touch those!! haha

8. mixscape

12 Feb 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 France + 2938 RP

'@OxygenBeats' its was my thread that has been deleted (probably by mistake). So, im not crazy ! lol 99% of my tests gave me the same results: Engine seems 2X faster to load (in VUE) than M6.
    '
    @Marketron' i dont have the same results.ive just made the same test than you with OxygenBeats website.. It has open almost instantly BUT the player appears after 8 seconds! it's exactly the same result when i use M6 on my website..

9. OxygenBeats

'@Soundgine' something I've noticed.... as I'm playing around with both M6 and Engine... is that, although Engine still loads faster than M6, it's not thaaaat big of a deal.

The main problem is that with M6, you can't move around on the entire site until M6 is finished loading everything. With Engine, you can still scroll down and look at the rest of the page even while the player is still loading all the tracks and info. It would seem that M6 says "If I'm not ready, then I'm not letting you see anything else or do anything else!" lol

10. Soundgine

'@Marketron' We're getting the same result over here, but I am not going to discount their experience. There are so many variables when it comes to this.
    '
    @OxygenBeats' What's crazy is that I was showing your profile along with somebody else's VUE and they mentioned how fast everything was, lol.

But...we will look under the hood and see if we can rip out some things, not major features of course. We'll run some tests tonight.'
    @Codemaker'

11. mixscape

@OxygenBeats'' @Soundgine' something I've noticed.... as I'm playing around with both M6 and Engine... is that, although Engine still loads faster than M6, it's not thaaaat big of a deal.

The main problem is that with M6, you can't move around on the entire site until M6 is finished loading everything. With Engine, you can still scroll down and look at the rest of the page even while the player is still loading all the tracks and info. It would seem that M6 says "If I'm not ready, then I'm not letting you see anything else or do anything else!" lol

Exactly

12. OxygenBeats

'@mixscape' okay I think we're on the same page.

13. Soundgine

@OxygenBeats'' @Soundgine' something I've noticed.... as I'm playing around with both M6 and Engine... is that, although Engine still loads faster than M6, it's not thaaaat big of a deal.

Got it. I'll stress this with' @Codemaker'
    THAT I actually do see.

14. OxygenBeats

'@Soundgine' okay awesome!!

yeah, the overall loading time I don't have an issue with for the player. It's the loading time for the SITE that concerns me. I like to be able to scroll around right away and look at the page. And just because the store hasn't loaded the tracks, I still want to be able to scroll around. It makes me feel alive!! (if that makes sense haha)

I just don't like having to wait those 3.5 seconds just to scroll down the page.

15. Soundgine

'@OxygenBeats' I'm with you 100%. Expect results sooner than later (tonight perhaps). Hopefully we can delay a load variable somewhere' @Codemaker'

16. OxygenBeats

Thank youuuuuuu :)

17. OxygenBeats

If you can get it to behave like Engine in regards of how it loads, that would be amazing!! :D

18. Soundgine

We'll either code a load delay (most likely) or add something in the "best performance" section.

19. mixscape

Sounds Great !

20. Soundgine

So we are going to end up doing minor tweaks under the hood of M6 which will include

- Minifying JavaScript and CSS files
    - Combining CSS files
    - Loading XML files on a single call instead of separate
    - Other Misc improvements

This is going to take a 3-4 days but we feel this is going to solve the temp freeze issue.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!