Producers and Remakes?

1. last year

daroobeats

18 Nov 2015 Power Contributor User since 2015 Atlanta, GA + 1814 RP

Lately my past 8 tracks sold have been remake request. The beats sent to me are from soundclick or big production teams like Vybe or even radio hits.
    I try to encourage my clients to be original but this is the type of work that has been coming my way. I happen to be good at it. I know how precious my work is so when i'm doing remakes it makes me feel like dirt. Is this what production is coming to?

2. godlike

20 Nov 2015 User since 2015 New York + 758 RP

I guess the bright side is at least you're getting some work in and a better viewpoint is you are getting practice on some of the popular production tracks. Now, I know what you're saying, you want artists to buy YOUR original work more often but hang in there.

I don't know how long you have been producing, but if you just started I think you are on the right track. If you can afford to say, "I only create original work" say that.

Maybe create beats that are similar in style...

3. daroobeats

22 Nov 2015 Power Contributor User since 2015 Atlanta, GA + 1814 RP

@godlike Yea but when it pays its hard to say no.

4. @daroobeats , I definintely understand what you mean by doing a beat that you aren't necessarily creating. You are just copying/remaking it. It's almost like you have to ask yourself if you are a business man or a producer. On the business side you are trying to make money but on the producer side you want to be known for you sound and what @daroobeats represents in the music industry.

I'd do it though, but give them an original beat you made for free or something.

5. daroobeats

3 Dec 2015 Power Contributor User since 2015 Atlanta, GA + 1814 RP

@AlienMusic Exactly my thoughts. I guess this is apart of the industry now. Just like Drakes Hotline Bling was a rip off of "I Like to Cha Cha"

6. juzicybeatz

11 Dec 2015 User since 2015 Portugal + 35 RP

@daroobeats I make remakes too, but i always say to not put my name on the credits because
    it's not my beat, i feel like i stole something.

7. daroobeats

11 Dec 2015 Power Contributor User since 2015 Atlanta, GA + 1814 RP

@juzicybeatz Its like the ultimate producer Sin. I'm so dirty lls.

8. juzicybeatz

12 Dec 2015 User since 2015 Portugal + 35 RP

@daroobeats exactly!

9. 6 weeks ago

Berengere

Aug 5 User since 2016 Lisbon + 91 RP

I always kept a mini collections of remakes but usually these are case study beats that helped me improve my skill. I don't feel comfortable selling them as @juzicybeatz mentioned.

I stopped making remakes a year ago and my sales have not slipped, knock on wood
    (o^_^o)

10. minty

Aug 8 User since 2016 + 311 RP

Also thought remakes were good as case studies.

or Sign Up to reply!