Ultimate Music Selling Guide

1. 3 years ago

MC2

9 Oct 2015 User since 2015 + 156 RP
    Edited last year by MC2

Welcome to the Ultimate Selling Guide.

The goal on this thread is to share real knowledge beneficial from the new to experienced. The motivation to this guide stemmed from posts explaining that there is no need to pay for knowledge how to market and sell music but there was no one stop resource for information. So producers, keep your money in your pocket, grab a drink and sit down.

Rules for posting:

1. No sharing information for the sake of self promotion.
    2. Keep arguing to a minimum (This is a learning thread, not a soap opera)
    3. Share QUALITY information

2. MC2

9 Oct 2015 User since 2015 + 156 RP
    Edited last year by MC2

New producers, let's begin with the basic groundwork.

Guide to Selling Beats 2015

1. Be Professional: Get yourself a paid website, not from free websites like Wix and Webs with banners that say "Get Your Free Website" here. Nobody is going to take you seriously with free ads plastered everywhere.

2. Go To Local Shows : Hook up with local artists and network. There is nothing more valuable than personal relationships. Hand out CD's with your tagged beats and include your email and phone number and website in a text file.

3. Stop Email Spamming: Start moving away from blindly emailing artist to "check out your beats" rarely do they click on those links anyway a they usually get blasted everyday with them. Never force a sale using email spamming or blasts, sales should occur naturally through good networking and relationship building. Artists buy from producers they know and trust, build these kinds of relationships.

4. Get Off The Paypal Buttons: I get that it's free but having the user type in the name of the beat and using the Paypal button is amateur and not user friendly. Paypal buttons have less functional and are not automated. Get something professional and fully automated like the Soundgine system.

5. Be Consistent: Working hard for a few months doesn't mean anything. The producers that make it in this business have been grinding it out for a couple of years. Before starting your music production business you need to train your mind for the long haul. Do you really think that by adding a beat to the Soundgine player will put you on the next episode of MTV Cribs? Nope.

6. Build & Sustain Your Presence/Brand: People need to get used to your brand. Create a logo for pay someone a few bucks to make a great brand logo people will remember. Get on the usual social media networks like Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. Don't worry if you're not getting post messages or new Fanpage likes that will come later. The idea is to get people used to seeing your brand and don't let up, we are talking about a year or two.

7. Quality Beats & Plenty Of It: Better to create 1 great beat a week than 3 weak ones just to have more inventory. Artists are getting smart and have an ear for what sounds good. If your beats are weak you can forget about points 1-6 right now. Get better, practice and profit. If you haven't seen the movie "Whiplash" please do. It shows the dedication and determination to become better at your craft.

8. Expand Your Genre: You're good at Trap music, cool. Now it's time to think like you're in the music business and cater to the rest of the world. Having a beat catalog with wide ranges of music will attract more artist and naturally will bring in more sales. This will be a great opportunity for you to learn new music techniques, besides it's all about growing as a musician anyway. Get out of your comfort zone.

9. Spread But Funnel Home: Spread your music out there on sites like Soundcloud and Soundclick with the intention of having them come to your main website. Soundcloud and Soundclick should NEVER be your main website. Having your own website to critical to your reputation and branding. You don't ever want to be labeled as just some "Soundclick producer", you want them to remember your brand name.

10. Avoid The Scam Snakepit: Stay away from snakes that say you can build your dream studio by paying for training and self help services that are nothing more than pyramid schemes like Empower Network. There are no shortcuts to success and self education is free, remember that. Imagine someone trying to charge you for the air you breathe..like air, knowledge is free.

Every day you work on your business is another day closer to the success you want. Being your own boss, not punching a timeclock and being able to support yourself and family doing what you love. But you need to approach your business correctly and efficiently.

special thanks to' @vpower' for the groundwork

3. godlike

9 Oct 2015 User since 2015 New York + 839 RP
    Edited 3 years ago by godlike

-image-

Expanding on #6 (Build & Sustain Your Presence/Brand)

I see a lot of you building on free Wix and Wordpress blogs. I get that money doesn't exactly grow on trees but in the world of the internet, making that first impression is vital. If an artist goes to your beats page and see ads, slow loading webpage, poorly constructed website, they will leave even before listening to your music.

Take time to build a quality website and if money permits, hire a reputable designer. Or take advantage of Soundgine's VUE . VUE gives you the ability to have a gorgeous and responsive website.

As #6 stated, brand is everything. Come up with a logo and name people will remember. Get inspiration from a website like Logoturn . I'm not saying buy a package from them, but you can see the name and logo branding at work.

4. Tristan

9 Oct 2015 User since 2015 San Francisco + 235 RP
    Edited 3 years ago by Tristan

-image-

The Godzilla! SEO Thread Aaarg!
    -image-

Since we are consolidating knowledge into one thread, I would add the SEO thread an extremely valuable resource, which can be found here.

Credit to' @Dreamstar'

5. Marketron

9 Oct 2015 User since 2015 San Diego + 217 RP

-image-

Create Wordpress Websites

One of the points mentioned in the Godzilla SEO thread is creating Wordpress websites for niche keywords. I'm an internet marketer and have helped fortune 500 companies achieve top positions. One of the best strategies to gain more traffic is to manage multiple Wordpress websites.

Have these Wordpress websites point to your main domain. Ideally you should own these websites instead of going free because I've had clients lose one or two of their blogs due to whatever Wordpress feels like that day.

So the idea for these multiple websites is this. Create free blogs with niche keywords in mind

example: Buy beats with hooks

So you would create a blog and call it exactly this "Buy beats with hooks". Now the whole blog will attack every angle with this keyword. Include a Youtube video related to "Buy beats with hooks" Make sure you say the words "Buy beats with hooks" in the video. Yes Google can now search audio keywords in videos now. Add a poll, add images and make sure the file name has your keywords. Rinse and repeat.

This process is not meant for the lazy, but it works.

Important: Create different email addresses for each blog. Wordpress does not like multiple blogs under one account.

6. VPower

12 Oct 2015 User since 2014 Los Angeles + 823 RP

-image-

Reasons Why Artists Are Not Buying Beats

Such an excellent thread so I'll contribute. There is this thread on this forum called "Reasons Why Artists Are Not Buying Beats" and it's filled with great educated information. Get to it here.

You don't want to miss this.

7. MC2

10 Nov 2015 User since 2015 + 156 RP
    Edited last year by MC2

Mindset

You here a lot about this and no doubt is this important, VERY important actually. This "mindset" must be right before you even begin your music production business. The good news is that even if you're not born with a self starting type of personality it can be learned.

You can take a drive over to Barnes & Noble, buy a Starbucks and read books such as:

- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success Link

- Wisdom for Winners: A Millionaire Mindset Link

These are excellent reads and cost less than $16 to purchase.

Truth is, some people need these books for motivation, some people don't. There is no "right" way to get your mindset right, as long as you have it right. Without the proper mindset you will crack under pressure because selling beats is a hussle. You will be frustrated and you WILL want to quit, this is almost guaranteed. The people that make money in this field are those that hand in there and rise above all those that are trying to do the same.

If selling beats was easy, everybody with a cracked version of FL Studio would be doing it.

Tell yourself that this is your destiny and that this is what you'll be doing professionally despite what other people think. I know the staff at Soundgine and have seen the success and failures producers have gone through, I can tell you only those that have tough skin survive and make it a profitable business.

EVERYBODY can sell beats, but you have to really want it.

8. OHLY

10 Nov 2015 Administrator User since 2015 London - Los Angeles + 1185 RP

I've read Wisdom for Winners, such an excellent book!

9. Breeze

10 Nov 2015 User since 2015 London + 800 RP

'@MC2' So true.

I think that it's not just the mindset but people soon realize that selling beats is also an investment and they don't realize all the extra expenses that go into it. So if they don't sell any beats in the first few months to recoup, they are at a loss and quit.

BUT you have to push forward, I used to work for a software company in Southern California and we launched several sub divisions and let me tell you that the first year was NEVER profitable, it always took about 1.5 years to gain traction. Once it did, these sub divisions tuned into million dollar companies.

Point is, keep at it. But yes, you NEED to have the right mindset to overcome these hurdles.
    Agree 3000%

10. Breeze

'@OHLY' I'll have to check that book out :-D

11. OHLY

10 Nov 2015 Administrator User since 2015 London - Los Angeles + 1185 RP

'@Breeze' I got it for my Nook. <(^.^)>

12. Breeze

@OHLY'' @Breeze' I got it for my Nook. <(^.^)>

Excellent! I'm due for a Peppermint Mocha at Starbucks!

13. 2 years ago

MC2

5 Jan 2016 User since 2015 + 156 RP
    Edited last year by MC2

Expand to credit cards with your Paypal.

We conducted a sales test and we found that 7 out of 10 subscribers pay with a credit card. We feel that CC sales online is a more common way to buy than Paypal. Paypal is easy, just sign up and you're set but when you expand your selling options to credit card too you will convert more.

-image-

2Checkout.com

You'll need to sign up with them and be prepared to give them your tax info and they are really clamping down on this. If you don't have a Tax ID, you will need to sign a W9 (Request for Taxpayer Identification) and email a 2co rep.

You can edit and sign the pdf here: https://www.pdfescape.com/

Of course this is purely option and you can run on Paypal only. If you feel comfortable sharing your Tax ID then signing up with 2co and enabling credit cards is a no brainer.

14. mixscape

5 Jan 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 France + 2808 RP
    Edited 2 years ago by mixscape

yeah great advice. Btw , do you know if Authorize.net is free to join ?

15. 80z

6 Jan 2016 User since 2015 + 863 RP

Excellent thread. '
    @mixscape'
    http://www.authorize.net/solutions/merchantsolutions/pricing/

As mentioned is another post,

"The low 2.9% is offset by that bullshit $25 monthly gateway so in the end it costs the same as 2CO."

16. mixscape

7 Jan 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 France + 2808 RP

'@80z' ok thanks for the information ;)

17. FrozenjaZzBeats

7 Jan 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 1118 RP

@80z' "The low 2.9% is offset by that bullshit $25 monthly gateway so in the end it costs the same as 2CO."

Then, no, it costs more than 2CO... at least in my case, where I don't sell for now... with 2CO, no monthly fees, so costs me 0.

18. mixscape

@FrozenjaZzBeats' Then, no, it costs more than 2CO... at least in my case, where I don't sell for now... with 2CO, no monthly fees, so costs me 0.

Good to know. Thanks.

19. FrozenjaZzBeats

7 Jan 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 1118 RP

'@Mixscape' in fact, this is also what made me jump in the Soundgine wagon. The option to have creditcard in the checkout. I didn't know 2CO at all, but Soundgine seemed to say it was nice... so I tried, as I was looking for a solution where you don't pay anything if you don't have any activity.

I had several exchanged with a 2CO rep, as they really want to confirm everything is ok. I was surprised by how serious it was, they really checked my website in details! Good point for them.

20. mixscape

@FrozenjaZzBeats'' @Mixscape' in fact, this is also what made me jump in the Soundgine wagon. The option to have creditcard in the checkout. I didn't know 2CO at all, but Soundgine seemed to say it was nice... so I tried, as I was looking for a solution where you don't pay anything if you don't have any activity.

I had several exchanged with a 2CO rep, as they really want to confirm everything is ok. I was surprised by how serious it was, they really checked my website in details! Good point for them.

yeah i got you ;) i can't wait for the validation from 2CO !

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!