How Much Do You Sell Exclusive Rights For?

1. 4 years ago

LoonyBinBeats

14 Dec 2014 Power Contributor User since 2014 + 1461 RP

Being that this is my first year selling beats professionally, I've changed my website quite a few times. I was doing exclusives for $100 but noticed a lot of other producers were doing them for way more. Now that my site is gaining popularity I've changed my exclusive price to $400 is this too much? What is a good price to keep it at?

Make Offer is now available

This new feature has really brought in sales you might not normally get. We found by talking to producers that have used this feature that they have made sales by accepting offers. There are two ways you can setup a make offer

1. Make Offer (No Price)

-image-

This mode can be helpful by pushing the customer to make an offer without any price comparison. Customers are most likely try to get the best deal they can with this option, but if you agree with the price then you have yourself a sale.

2. Make Offer (Price)

-image-

This option has a default price and gives a customer a ballpark price to work on.

Additionally, you can add a reserve price where a user cannot lowball you. For example, you can set a price of $50 for the absolute lowest you can go with an offer. If a customer enters $20 they will see an automatic message saying it is below the reserve price.

Note: Many of you already aware of this feature, but this thread has been updated due to the many search engine hits

2. IsaacTaylor

14 Dec 2014 User since 2014 Nashville, Tn + 575 RP

It really boils down to what YOU feel that beat is worth. And honestly, I don't think all beats that are sold exclusively should be marked as the same price. That is unless you are selling an exclusive license rather than selling the beat out right. Also, how popular you are can make a HUGE difference on what you can sell your beats for.

3. [deleted]

14 Dec 2014 User since 1970

A lot of producers don't list their prices for exclusive rights, and they negotiate the price on each one individually. In 2012, my exclusives were $100. In 2013, they were $150. In 2014, I've listed them at $1299.99. So far, no one has paid that much for one... BUT, I've sold some at $600 since then. If you start higher than you intend, you can negotiate down to a price that's still higher than you were hoping for. That way, the artist feels like they got a deal and you do too. People value your beats more if they come with a higher price tag. Then let them be able to afford it by giving discounts or negotiating down. It's a concept that basically all brands follow. For example, when you see something say $200, but it's crossed out and says something like $100 next to it...

4. Shook Beats

15 Dec 2014 User since 2014 Ashland, Virginia + 16 RP

I list my exclusives at $2500 and my Leases at $24.99 -$49.99 .... Lol it's a mind game... Plus I'd rather just lease all day anyways and keep my beats, unless someone really plans on doing something with it, then hopefully they will have that budget for it anyways, or at least be somewhere in that ball park.

5. [deleted]

15 Dec 2014 User since 1970

Vinny the Destroyer scares me. His price was 2,500 too. I’ve paid less for cars. And my granddaughter is my favorite little doll right now.
    <a href="http://www.braccialegioielli.cn/fr/" >imitation bracelet van cleef et arpels</a> imitation bracelet van cleef et arpels

6. Shook Beats

16 Dec 2014 User since 2014 Ashland, Virginia + 16 RP

'@OxygenBeats' That's whats up, I try my best to work with artists the best that I can, but it really makes no sense to sell a beat to an artist that wants exclusive rights only because they don't want a beat that someone else has made a song to. Yet they'll go on a file sharing site and download a Jay Z or Rick Ross Instrumental and put that on a mixtape, I mean how many people do they think rapped on those tracks? My goal even more than selling beats right now is to provide up and coming artists with "basic" information that will help them to at least start building a fan base for themselves provided their music is actually worth listening to.

This way at least they would be on their way to eventually earning some money from selling their music online, which in return would provide them with some extra funds to possibly buy a beat from the guy that made it all happen for them..... (Me).... It does get overwhelming at times though, trying to find solutions for everyone who wants to sell music but hey, this is the field that I want to work in so I do the best I can. What I find to be the most common mistake of most artists though is that they don't have their own websites, nor do they utilize email marketing. It's crazy.... Then they wonder why all their work goes without reward.

I know I'm off subject right now, but I say all that to say this. With the proper relationships it doesn't really matter what you sell your beats for or what type of licenses you sell. Put your energy into providing a great service for artists that will help them to succeed first and foremost, and eventually the money will come, and once it does, you'll have a list of successful artists under you that are actually selling music and doing what they love, which in return will allow you to do what you love.

Sorry so long, I should have blogged this...... LOL

7. [deleted]

16 Dec 2014 User since 1970

'@Shook Beats' , haha no worries! I do that all the time too! In fact, you remind me of me lol. I'm doing a similar thing as your whole project. I've been hosting rhyme games on my facebook page. They've actually been getting a lot of traction too. And the benefit behind holding the rhyme games is that it gets artists writing lyrics; it really eliminates writer's block. A lot of people have told me it helps their lyricism and they've written full songs based on some games they've participated in. And when artists have written lyrics and want to make it into a song, they're going to need beats, right? And we'll be here with open arms! I guess we are both somewhat silently helping the market for beat makers, aren't we? hahaha

You should check them out actually:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.645214888901865.1073741828.183817941708231&type=3

8. [deleted]

16 Dec 2014 User since 1970

'@Shook Beats' , add me on facebook! Since we're both doing similar things, maybe we could collaborate on something in the future! My personal FB is:

https://www.facebook.com/QuinlanStuwe

9. Shook Beats

16 Dec 2014 User since 2014 Ashland, Virginia + 16 RP

'@OxygenBeats' it's a done deal

10. entity361

16 Dec 2014 User since 2014 Vista, Ca. + 7 RP

I started out selling my Exclusives at $100 and got a few off. Then moved it up to $129.95 and sold two. After awhile I dropped them to 50.95 and got many out the door. I don't like to sit on my beats so it helped clear out my old beats for all the new ones I was making. I usually change it up yearly, with Jan. 1st about to hit I'm thinking about doing a super increase and then using the "make offer" technique' @OxygenBeats' was talking about.

11. Soundgine

17 Dec 2014 Administrator User since 2014 Los Angeles + 17409 RP

@entity361' I started out selling my Exclusives at $100 and got a few off. Then moved it up to $129.95 and sold two. After awhile I dropped them to 50.95 and got many out the door. I don't like to sit on my beats so it helped clear out my old beats for all the new ones I was making. I usually change it up yearly, with Jan. 1st about to hit I'm thinking about doing a super increase and then using the "make offer" technique' @OxygenBeats' was talking about.

We do plan on adding a "Make Offer" feature on our players.

12. 2 years ago

Soundgine

24 Oct 2016 Administrator User since 2014 Answer Los Angeles + 17409 RP

This new feature has really brought in sales you might not normally get. We found by talking to producers that have used this feature that they have made sales by accepting offers. There are two ways you can setup a make offer

1. Make Offer (No Price)

-image-

This mode can be helpful by pushing the customer to make an offer without any price comparison. Customers are most likely try to get the best deal they can with this option, but if you agree with the price then you have yourself a sale.

2. Make Offer (Price)

-image-

This option has a default price and gives a customer a ballpark price to work on.

Additionally, you can add a reserve price where a user cannot lowball you. For example, you can set a price of $50 for the absolute lowest you can go with an offer. If a customer enters $20 they will see an automatic message saying it is below the reserve price.

Note: Many of you already aware of this feature, but this thread has been updated due to the many search engine hits

13. Velocity

30 Nov 2016 User since 2015 New York + 107 RP

Wow, wasn't even aware of the Make Offer feature! Been away too long.

14. Mike

16 Dec 2016 User since 2016 New York + 419 RP

@Soundgine'

1. Make Offer (No Price)

-image-

2. Make Offer (Price)

-image-

Gold!

15. Technowax

6 Jan 2017 User since 2016 Los Angeles + 239 RP

It's 2017 now, what are you guys selling exclusive rights for now?

16. killtraxxx

8 Jan 2017 User since 2017 SF + 662 RP

Never NEVER sell yourself short. The least I've ever sold an exclusive is $500

17. sontwisted

9 Jan 2017 Power Contributor User since 2015 Brooklyn NY + 2234 RP

$400 without track out $500 with track out add$100 for custom made

18. Royal

31 Jan 2017 User since 2015 San Diego California + 328 RP

No less than 300.

19. countmorris

4 Feb 2017 User since 2015 Orlando, Florida + 668 RP

I think it really depends on the producer and your products and it will probably take some trial and error to find the right range.

I used to start my prices for exclusives at $1,000, but I quickly realized that most people just dont have that kind of money for a beat (unless it's a major artist or someone who is allready making an income from their music.)

I now have my beats priced at $450 for exclusives with the ability to make an offer. I find that this is a pretty fair price for both parties especially since there is room for negotiation. Some of my older beats I have priced lower, like $200 -$250 for exclusive.

20. Sound Variety

7 Feb 2017 User since 2015 USA + 865 RP

'@countmorris' I'm with you on the trial and error. I've experimented with this and of course if you have a ton of beats and you're wanting to make room for newer heat, you can maybe afford to let a few go for the low - but with that said.. some artists can get use to you being priced low for exclusives and not ever want to spend a bigger amount. Right now my newer beats are priced at $499 and I also have a few priced at $349.

Even if you're a new producer, don't sell yourself short. People value things a bit more when they are priced higher.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!