Reasons Why Artists Are Not Buying Beats

1. ‹ Older
  2. 4 years ago

Soundgine

31 Aug 2015 Administrator User since 2014 Los Angeles + 17608 RP

Great write up' @legendarybeatz'

3. Razor

31 Aug 2015 User since 2015 Texas + 146 RP

@legendarybeatz' Hey' @Razor' I guess the next question is, what type of content do artists really care about? What content would you email them that will help them feel more comfortable with your brand.

I don't think it really matter what content it is. If you mean content as in "genre" then yeah, doesn't matter as long as it kicks major ass. That's the thing about quality music, it sells itself. But do expand your collection get into things you normally wouldn't like soundtrack type music, music for games, etc. Kick down your comfort zone doors.

4. legendarybeatz

31 Aug 2015 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 1968 RP

Oh I meant for the email marketing aspect of it. Are you suggesting to just promote new beats, or to have informational content like Production tips articles/videos, things like that.

What do you think?' @Razor'

5. Razor

31 Aug 2015 User since 2015 Texas + 146 RP

'@legendarybeatz' I see what you're saying.

Deals. monetary deals. Hook them with an offer they can't refuse. I think a lot of people fall too much in love with their own music and think of beats as a physical product. You have a digital product with zero inventory to buy or shipping costs so offer free music.

Tell them it's a 24 hours offer so there's a feeling of urgency. Throw a few beats on a Pod and put them on a "secret" page and tell them this is just for them, people want to feel exclusive. name the secret page with the same name as the artist.

"Ill throw in an extra beat of your choice always seems to work" not for exclusives though....

Someone may have more effective email campaigns, would love to hear them.

6. legendarybeatz

31 Aug 2015 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 1968 RP

Nice Suggestion' @Razor' I used to have about 15 emails set up that go out once a week on music production related topics. But then I'm thinking that maybe artists don't care about that really, if they sign up to your list they want beats. So maybe I should try out this tactic that you mentioned, actually seems like it might work, especially since it's so personal. But I'm guessing this is granted that the artist had purchased beats from you before right?

7. OxygenBeats

31 Aug 2015 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 3556 RP

'@Kid V' that's the truth, well put.

8. FrozenjaZzBeats

1 Sep 2015 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 1118 RP

Thanks' @Kid V' for this testimony.

I sometimes feel a bit depressed as I have the feeling "I don't have enough time"...
    I have a full time job, not a 9-5, more like a 9-7... and two children (9yo and 2mo :)),
    and only work during the evenings, trying to make good beats where I put my soul.

But then I feel tired and don't work enough on the "marketing" part. Not sure where to start from, build a mailing list, yes. You all talk about the "relationship" with your customers... I always try that, but I am too kind and nice with them, so it is a nice relationship, but where I give more than I receive :)

9. legendarybeatz

1 Sep 2015 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 1968 RP

'@FrozenjaZzBeats' there's nothing wrong with being nice and having a good relationship with your customers and ultimately you may be more rewarded because you give more than you receive. But you also have to be smart in what you're doing. Have to rememver that you have expenses too. So try to balance it out. Probably give more discounts rather than free material. Try coupons instead of free beats. Try to leverage your relationship so that you can make more money. Not in a greedy way, but in a way where your business is respectable and customers don't mind spending money with you because they are not only buying into your product but also your personality you bring to the table. Almost to say that if you were't who you are, maybe they wouldn't have done business with you. If that makes sense. So use that to benefit your business.

10. OxygenBeats

1 Sep 2015 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 3556 RP

'@legendarybeatz' good advice.
    '
    @FrozenjaZzBeats' Good friendship is equally beneficial. Don't be like that kid in highschool who wants to be cool so bad they just act like a pawn for the popular kids.

You can't be friends with everyone. And you only have so much time and attention in a day anyway, so be selective with your friendships. Instead of focusing time on the people who only take and take and take... spend that time and attention on the ones who support you and your goals. Give back and reward those people. Those are the people you want for friends.

Of course, being friends and simply being friendly are two different things. If you say your lease is worth $25, and someone comes and says they should just get it for free and they don't really have anything of value to offer you, you should be FRIENDLY and TURN THEM DOWN in a kind manner. If you give in to them, you devalue yourself. And if you get angry, it looks like you're desperate. But just being friendly doesn't mean to be their friends.

Still, find those very few people who you think can support you in return, and befriend them. People buy from friends, because a good business relationship is built upon trust.

11. legendarybeatz

1 Sep 2015 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 1968 RP

You gave some good advice too' @OxygenBeats' Definitely important not to allow yourself to get taken advantage of.

12. LoonyBinBeats

1 Sep 2015 Power Contributor User since 2014 + 1461 RP

I definitely agree with' @OxygenBeats' people are going to act like your beats aren't worth buying, and those are the people you want to give the cold shoulder to, but of course let them off nicely. Also people respond to confidence, they want to buy from someone who seems professional. Every once in a while I'll go on my social media profiles and I'll post some thing like "Business is going great! Let me know if your looking for any beats I'll be in the studio all day" and people respond because I said "business is going great" and people want what other people want.

13. OxygenBeats

2 Sep 2015 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 3556 RP

'@LoonyBinBeats' yeah, that's definitely true. People want to buy from producers who are successful. That's why people check charts. So, even if you're in a bit of a rut... don't make it a habit to let everyone know lol

14. LoonyBinBeats

2 Sep 2015 Power Contributor User since 2014 + 1461 RP

'@OxygenBeats' Exactly

15. Velocity

18 Nov 2015 User since 2015 New York + 107 RP
    Edited 4 years ago by Velocity

What' @Kid V' Said...

You mentioned some posts here helped, which ones?

16. Kid V

18 Nov 2015 User since 2015 Venice Beach California + 392 RP

'@Velocity ';

There were a few but the one's that stood out

SEO: http://soundgine.com/forum/index.php/109-the-godzilla-seo-thread/0#p772
    Inspiration: http://soundgine.com/forum/index.php/conversations/success-stories
    Marketing: http://soundgine.com/forum/index.php/92-a-real-guide-to-selling-beats-2015/0#p687

and recently: http://soundgine.com/forum/index.php/412-ultimate-music-selling-guide/0#p3413

But really, there are tons of gems scattered.

Best Wishes to You!

17. godlike

18 Nov 2015 User since 2015 New York + 842 RP

It should be like this:

Artist: Can I Get Free Beats?
    You: *closes email*

18. daroobeats

19 Nov 2015 Power Contributor User since 2015 Atlanta, GA + 1820 RP

I have read some great opinions on this matter. I believe what I have to offer is worth more then what I settle for. I have adjusted my prices because of the low price demand. In return I adjusted my contract to balance the worth. In the love of must I have become a Graphic Designer | Web Designer | Promoter | and Marketer| I just try to stay consistent and develop relationships with my clients.

19. 3 years ago

Kid V thank u so much for the wisdom! this is ecsactly how i think and practice, but everyone ells making beats on the forums tells me: you dont need a website.soundcloud is good enough.they just smoke weed and are not doin bisniz,theyre giving away beats. and most people i get contacted by,wanna buy my beats.but,they dont wanna pay more than 50 dollars for exclusive rights! i dont give away my beats! i work hard every single day from 09:00- 17:00 and i only stop then,cus of my neighbors. if it wasnt for that,i would make beats from 09:00- 22:00. thats how serious i am. i invest all my money in gear and instrument. i practice drums,djembe,mpc,trumpets,percussion , bass guitar, dj-ing and synths/keyboard. its not enough hours in a day for me to reach my potential.thats just how i am. i love doing music,and it hurts inside when i dont. ive also hired a web-designer for 460 dollars,and made a custom logo. i need to invest. cus if i dont invest in myself, why would someone else do. theres too many rappers and producers today. and almost no one wanna pay for beats.

20. @LoonyBinBeats' I definitely agree with' @OxygenBeats' people are going to act like your beats aren't worth buying, and those are the people you want to give the cold shoulder to, but of course let them off nicely. Also people respond to confidence, they want to buy from someone who seems professional. Every once in a while I'll go on my social media profiles and I'll post some thing like "Business is going great! Let me know if your looking for any beats I'll be in the studio all day" and people respond because I said "business is going great" and people want what other people want.

so true! im a rapper also, and thats how i found "my producer". he had a great website,and hes name popped up on every musical social media.so i bought a beat with exclusive rights. 6 months later,i listened to the beat an it wasnt as good as i thought. ha ha. but he did sommething right.cus i payed 100 dollars.

21. VPower

9 Dec 2015 User since 2014 Los Angeles + 823 RP

Are you guys seeing sales slow down during Christmas season?

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!