Message to "The Legion" Advice for a Future Producer

1. 3 years ago

Tristan

15 Jul 2015 User since 2015 San Francisco + 235 RP
    Edited 3 years ago by Tristan

First off, my name is Tristan and I'm way early in the music production world. I stumbled upon Soundgine literally on Stumbleupon. My question is for' @ThisIsTheLegion'

How long did it take you to gain the traction you have gained? And more importantly what have you done to stay on top.

There are a lot of people on this forum that are accomplished like' @OxygenBeats'' @bbotabasco'' @legendarybeatz' ...the list goes on, so don't feel like I'm disregarding other power houses in this forum.

2. ThisIsTheLegion

16 Jul 2015 User since 2015 Answer + 976 RP

Thanks' @Tristan', you definitely put me in good company with those other guys. I actually didn't really start selling beats online till a little over a year ago, but I've been producing and engineering for over 10 years. I got some decent credits where I'm from (Bay Area) and some credits outside The Bay, so I think the fact that I had kind of built up my brand that way helped when I took it online because some people had heard of me already.

Some things that have worked for me:

1. I love Soundgine for all the reasons everyone else does, but I also use other sites to sell beats. SoundClick has given me the most customers of any site. I use my soundgine player there (soundclick.com/thisisthelegion ). Soundclick ads are expensive, but I’ve gotten a huge return on investment there.

2. My beats with hooks sell way more than just instrumentals. This is actually the same way I was able to get a lot of placements. I usually don’t just play or send rappers beats, I give em beats with hooks that already sound like a great song. All they have to do is fill in the verses.

3. I stay active on social media. Twitter is big for me (twitter.com/thisisthelegion to see the kind of stuff I post). I use crowdfireapp.com to gain followers and send an automated DM offering free beats for their email address. I try to send out newsletters often with mailchimp.com (I really should be sending more). I use bufferapp.com to automate posts.

4. I upload beats to YouTube. Lots of artists find their beats by going to YouTube and typing in “____ type beats.” You can use something like tunestotube.com to post up an mp3 with a static image, or you can get way more creative with visuals. I’ve found people on fiverr.com that can do some cool things for pretty cheap

I’m sure there’s a lot more stuff, but that’s a few things to start with. Oh, and I guess step 1 would be to have beats that people like. I’d love to hear some ideas from other producers too!' @OxygenBeats' runs some really cool contests that I'd like to know more about...

3. Tristan

16 Jul 2015 User since 2015 San Francisco + 235 RP

'@ThisIsTheLegion' MUCH respect, instead of going around the "secret sauce" so to speak, you actually gave real advice that people would actually pay for, so your input is real gold. In fact, this forum is a goldmine.

So, THANK YOU. I know that following a formula isn't enough, you have to always be on it and be creative. Again, thanks for being real, you gave me a lot to think about.

4. '@Tristan' No problem, happy to help. I've learned a lot from other people, so I try to pay it forward if I can. Let me know if you have any specific questions about things I'm doing and I'll fill you in.

BTW, I feel like I have a long way to go before I catch up to some of the top sellers out there, so I'm always looking to try new things.

5. legendarybeatz

16 Jul 2015 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 1953 RP

That was definitely great feedback' @ThisIsTheLegion' . One thing that I would tell you' @Tristan' is that you should build relationships. Whenever business is slow, your loyal customers are the ones you built the strongest relationship with. And they will always come back to you. Legion, has built up his brand online and off-line, so he actually is in a great position. You have to find what works with you and build on it. Best way to start is being consistent, provide quality content, network, and build relationships. If you can do that, you will start to gain traction and reach levels like Legion and others in this forum would not be that far fetched! Your on the right track bro, keep it up.

6. Tristan

16 Jul 2015 User since 2015 San Francisco + 235 RP

'@legendarybeatz' Thank you so much. I guess building solid relationships with clients is the way to go. Thanks for the encouraging words.

7. legendarybeatz

16 Jul 2015 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 1953 RP

You're welcome' @Tristan' It definitely is. Keep asking the right questions, and once you learn, be sure to act upon that. Just takes time.

8. OxygenBeats

17 Jul 2015 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 3556 RP

Dope advice!' @ThisIsTheLegion' yeah I've been hosting rap contests on soundcloud for 2-3 years now, and they always give me business and more hype. Each day, I get a bunch of new followers without doing extra promotion. I've been hosting "rhyme games" on facebook. I've been shifting my whole page toward that theme, and I'm still perfecting and shaping them.

Overall, just be active on social media. Find communities and start to build your own community. Build deep relationships and don't just be that spammer asshole lol

9. legendarybeatz

17 Jul 2015 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 1953 RP

'@OxygenBeats' this may be a stupid question, but how do you manage the rhyme game every week. Do you have a job outside of music? or a gf/wife? lol. That's what I'm dealing with now. Not working currently cuz I moved, but I'm interested in some suggestions to get my fan page on the move.

10. FrozenjaZzBeats

17 Jul 2015 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 1118 RP

@legendarybeatz' Do you have a job outside of music? or a gf/wife?

I must say that with a job (8:30 to 18:30), plus one hour commuting, plus a house, wife, one 9yr old daughter and one 3weeks old son... Time is difficult to find :)

11. legendarybeatz

ha I could imagine..' @FrozenjaZzBeats' lol

12. OxygenBeats

17 Jul 2015 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 3556 RP

'@legendarybeatz' No, this is my only job, and ehhh sorta/not really. Definitely no wife, and no kids. I could imagine it would be way harder to find time with those things, which is why I avidly try to avoid them until I'm in a comfortable spot.

For the rhyme games, I've made photoshop templates and I just replace the center word/phrase with a new one each day and post it up.

I'm experimenting with making them tournament style, but it's taking so long to message all the different entrants and stuff, and the page is kinda dead while I do so... so I think I'm going to bring it back to how it was after I finish this tourney up. Actually, I think I'm going to stop recording scores all together and just make them for fun, I'm pretty sure most people just do them for fun anyway, and I'm going to go crazy spending all this time calculating scores and stuff.

13. legendarybeatz

Ha nice' @OxygenBeats' I guess we have to do what our fans like. That's how we make money. Gotta sacrifice.

14. 2 years ago

minty

14 Apr 2016 User since 2016 + 377 RP

Wow, this is powerful stuff, thank you' @ThisIsTheLegion'

15. Ibsenproducer

14 Apr 2016 Power Contributor User since 2016 Venezuela + 1814 RP

Amazing Tips bro, i am starting too, working on get more traffic and sales, but i think go for good way, only two months here =D, bless bro..!!

16. itbangz

15 Apr 2016 Power Contributor User since 2016 + 1344 RP

'@ThisIsTheLegion' very good tips, didnt know much about that social media automatization.

Ive seen you booked beat review with Sarah J, was it helpful? Can you please write what its about?

17. @minty' Wow, this is powerful stuff, thank you' @ThisIsTheLegion'

@Ibsenproducer '; Amazing Tips bro, i am starting too, working on get more traffic and sales, but i think go for good way, only two months here =D, bless bro..!!

My pleasure! Hope you can put some of that info to use

18. @itbangz'' @ThisIsTheLegion' very good tips, didnt know much about that social media automatization.

Ive seen you booked beat review with Sarah J, was it helpful? Can you please write what its about?

Yeah, automating the social media stuff really helps. I was using Crowdfire but now I switched to a program called Followliker which' @OxygenBeats' helped me set up. It's a little more complicated, but once it's set up it's completely automatic. It's such a powerful tool that I'm actually offering it as a service to artists and other producers. You can check that out at moremusicfollowers.com

The Sarah J review was good. She's definitely well connected and has some great info. If you have beats she likes, she can get em to some major people.

19. mckeeverbeatz

26 Apr 2016 User since 2015 Columbus, OH + 510 RP

Good question' @Tristan' and great tips' @ThisIsTheLegion'

20. countmorris

27 Apr 2016 User since 2015 Orlando, Florida + 668 RP

Great tips by everyone. I've been reading and taking mental notes from everyone's suggestions!

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!