.RAR Uploads Are Now Enabled

1. 4 years ago

Soundgine

4 Jul 2015 Administrator User since 2014 Los Angeles + 17594 RP
    Edited 4 years ago by Soundgine

-image-

We took a 60mb Wav file and compressed it using Winrar. The end result was a file size that went from 60mb to a mere 6.8mb. This compression was so good we decided to add it as an upload option. This is a perfect solution for those that have huge files and need it under our 60mb upload limit

Obviously, you will need the Winrar program to compress your files but there is a trial software that can be downloaded I personally have been on a trial version for years now.

Once your files have been compressed, you can then upload your .rar file in the control panel
    -image-

The great thing is that Winzip that is pretty much used everywhere can unzip .rar files so your customers don't need to have Winrar.

2. FrozenjaZzBeats

4 Jul 2015 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 1118 RP

Good news !!
    That being said, WinRAR won't compress your 60Mb wav to 6.8Mb, unless it is full of blank, or you smoke something strange :)
    But I find it is really fast and efficient for our wav files.
    In the end, nothing will beat FLAC for WAV compression... but WinRAR is a nice option.
    Maybe you should accept 7zip files as well? I am not very used to 7zip, but it seems to be very capable, on some files it was even better than RAR. And is 100% free.

3. Soundgine

4 Jul 2015 Administrator User since 2014 Los Angeles + 17594 RP

We couldn't believe it either but in fact it did compress a 60mb wave file to 6.8mb. After uploading the compressed .rar file in the admin we downloaded it from our server. As you can see the .rar is 6.88mb

Saved it to our desktop and decompressed it, as there was the 62mb file staring right at us.
    Looking at the version of Winrar I have, we do have a paid license (5.01 64bit) but I can't imagine being any different from the free trial version

Good times.

4. VPower

4 Jul 2015 User since 2014 Los Angeles + 823 RP
    Edited 4 years ago by VPower

Just tried it myself on a 100mb wav and it brought it down to 12mb. Excellent work guys B) I am also running version 5.01, I think the new one is 5.21

I just tried it with a video and it didn't compress it very much 67mb to 64mb for a .mov file

but it did awesome with .wav

5. FrozenjaZzBeats

Ok, I'll have to try the new version... but I am very sceptic... If it was the case, then everybody would be talking about that, as it would be totally revolutionnary!!
    Last time I tried, the best I could achieve was usually around 30% compression...

Funny that I had to insist as I have always been convinced, for years, that RAR is a fantastic tool...
    And now I learn that it might be even better.... But 80% compression as you say, this can't be always the case, or maybe you took one "stem"...

In this case, yes, obviously, the compression can be higher, due to "blank" portions that compress very well. When I track out my beats, I am always amazed to see how they become small, especially the drum parts... :)

6. FrozenjaZzBeats

Ok I downloaded a very recent version 5.20, and even with maximum compression, could not be better than using RAR4 format...

My 16bits wav is 46Megs, compressed in RAR4, 31.9Mb, RAR5 33Mb... and FLAC, well, 25.6.

So nothing new under the sun since 10 years :)

or Sign Up to reply!