Would I be selling myself short?

1. 4 weeks ago

triplehomicide

Jul 7 User since 2016 + 468 RP

I'm deciding to stop selling leases & doing exclusives only.

I've made a decent amount selling leases but I feel I can make much more.

There's no urgency/scarcity with leases...with exclusives....you snooze, you lose (FOMO).

Plus, having 100+ different songs over the same beat is poor business practice.

Metro Boomin, Kanye, Dre, Timbaland, Pharrell, etc... wouldn't dare do that.

I want to price my beats so that they sell consistently without charging too little or too much.

Because it would make no sense sitting on all these beats when I know there are artists that could be using them.

I'm aiming for $100-500 price range. I'd only make my top selling beats $300-500.

All new beats will be priced $100-200.

I'd still maintain my half of the publishing & I'd still own the copyrights to the beats.

Would I be shooting myself in the foot doing this?

2. DEVIZE

Jul 8 User since 2018 Qld, Australia + 604 RP

Some do great with leases some do great with Exclusives. I myself have been selling beats for 20 years online & sell a shitload of Exclusives. Bout 110 this year so far, you may sell as high as $500 but it aint gon be on the regular like you could at the normal $100 rate. In the end beats are a product just bake, sell n move on imo . I could care less for royalties cuz most artists kickstarting aint gon sell anyway and royalties are crumbs in comparison. Every producer has their own lil way , find yours, get great at it .

3. triplehomicide

Jul 9 User since 2016 + 468 RP

@DEVIZE' Some do great with leases some do great with Exclusives. I myself have been selling beats for 20 years online & sell a shitload of Exclusives. Bout 110 this year so far, you may sell as high as $500 but it aint gon be on the regular like you could at the normal $100 rate. In the end beats are a product just bake, sell n move on imo . I could care less for royalties cuz most artists kickstarting aint gon sell anyway and royalties are crumbs in comparison. Every producer has their own lil way , find yours, get great at it .

Thanks for the advice. Definitely gonna do it. I see your store is sooooold the hell out.

4. last week

triplehomicide

Aug 2 User since 2016 + 468 RP

Made the switch & made $900 in 2 days. Fastest money I ever made from beats.

5. @triplehomicide' Made the switch & made $900 in 2 days. Fastest money I ever made from beats.

Congratulations

6. DEVIZE

Aug 2 User since 2018 Qld, Australia + 604 RP

@triplehomicide' Made the switch & made $900 in 2 days. Fastest money I ever made from beats.

props, exclusives are the way to go unless you have hundreds buying leases & you'll find those that buy the Exclusives are more serious artists with a future investment in your work. I have customers coming back since 2004 still paying same prices, not too high not too low just good weekly amount of money that is on verge of getting me a house next year.

7. 4 days ago

triplehomicide

Aug 5 User since 2016 + 468 RP

Still working on finding a price that sells quicker & faster without being too high or too low. Sitting on hundreds of beats does me no good. Especially when a sound or trend becomes outdated rather quickly.

For some reason, us producers let our ego determine the price instead of letting the market determine the price.

In my research, I see top selling that aren't selling that many exclusives even when the option is available. Some of their exclusive prices are $75-200...and yet the beats dont sell that well.

So I wonder, is it due to price or artists don't care about buying exclusives?

or Sign Up to reply!