EU Producers blocked from social media

1. 6 days ago

sontwisted

Dec 5 Power Contributor User since 2015 Brooklyn NY + 2147 RP

i was made aware of this situation a few weeks ago but i dont see anyone talking about so the European union is passing a copyright law known as article 13 that will make content hosting sites liable for any copyright infringement committed by its users so youtube or facebook or soundgine etc can be sued for its users posting images they don't own ,links to sites they don't own etc . Youtube has stated that they may end up just blocking al users from the european union from fully accessing the site ie uploading content if they do that i don't see why the other sites wont take the same approach so every producer from the EU would be out of business over night and every producer with customers in the EU may loose a portion of their business

2. Thank you for raising this topic. I didn't knew about the article 13. But... as i was reading now, it is regarding mems in most cases... why you think it can be used against producers?

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/what-is-article-13-article-11-european-directive-on-copyright-explained-meme-ban

If you use Creative Commons or stock free images/videos or sounds - there shouldn't be any problems :) Or I'm missing something?

3. Tyson

Dec 5 User since 2016 Hawaii + 740 RP

'@fenixprod' beat me to it.

Yes, if you use creative commons you are set. Also, don't get caught up with all the latest restrictions, I doubt they will be enforced anyway.

Europeans, lol.

4. sontwisted

Dec 6 Power Contributor User since 2015 Brooklyn NY + 2147 RP

'@fenixprod' its not just memes links to wensites you dont own,images so the thumnnails we use etc nut my main concern is youtunes redponse to how they will deal with it by blocking al contemt creators in the EU so all those producers and rappers will not be able to post their music

5. sontwisted

Dec 6 Power Contributor User since 2015 Brooklyn NY + 2147 RP

'@Tyson' it wont affect me at all but if youtube does what it says we will loose a chunk of potential customers european producers will be fucked

6. @Tyson'' @fenixprod' beat me to it.

Yes, if you use creative commons you are set. Also, don't get caught up with all the latest restrictions, I doubt they will be enforced anyway.

Europeans, lol.

Thank you for sharing opinion. Best way is to prepare for worse, use approved content and also learn playing instruments instead of sampling (even if that be the case).

or Sign Up to reply!