The Truth about Marketing

1. 4 months ago

Des

Aug 5 User since 2015 + 429 RP

It's 2018 and I just wanted to know what the best marketing procedures are when selling beats. I hear producers going back and forth on what's more effective. Can somebody give me the no bullshit marketing approach to selling beats?

2. Griffin

Aug 5 Power Contributor User since 2015 Colorado + 1074 RP

Watch out for the smoke and mirrors, there's a lot of as you said bullshit going around and producers that are not selling will eat up anything beatstores, services are saying just to take advantage. NEVER believe when companies say they will market you and get you sales, this and that. Been there, done that.

Ask' @tone' and' @Yonask' if they use marketing services, bet you they rely on hard work and quality product.
    and although some marketing is required, watch out for the snake oil.

3. musicbox

Aug 5 User since 2014 Barcelona, Spain + 883 RP

Several producers I know make over 100k a year selling beats, Some use Soundgine, Airbit and Beatstars. They all shuffled around services just to find out they make exactly the same amount of money. No real advantage over another.

They don't do shit for marketing, they just have kickass beats.

4. Des

Aug 5 User since 2015 + 429 RP

'@musicbox' Maybe it's because they are already established? You can't just put beats in your store and make money without doing some marketing, there's just no way.

5. musicbox

Aug 6 User since 2014 Barcelona, Spain + 883 RP
    Edited 4 months ago by musicbox

'@Des' 12 producers I know, 4 are considered established.

Let me clarify what I mean by "They don't do shit for marketing"

They are all active with their social media accounts including Youtube.

What they don't do:

(1) Pay for beat "mind power" seminars or any seminars for that matter. (It's just a scam)
    (2) Pay for lists
    (3) Get overhyped by a new feature a beat store offers (Unless the feature is that they fly you to see top artists for contracts)
    (4) Pay for Facebook or Instagram Ads
    (5) Blog for days

Sure, every bit helps but don't get lost in the world of marketing. Almost every one of my sales come from either word of mouth or a post I made on Instagram or social media.

-image-

I'm doing fine without hyping marketing.

6. Tone

Aug 6 User since 2016 Florida USA + 689 RP

“The Man Who Has Confidence In Himself Gains The Confidence Of Others.” – Hasidic Proverb

I live by this.

It's hard for me to really understand the difficulty of selling music and I mean that in the most kind way. Hard work trumps marketing every single time. Having great sounding beats should be the #1 priority for everyone. I remember when I first started in 1999 I would complete my beats and upload, let people know and got very little sales and I mean 1 sale per month if I was lucky.

I almost gave up until a friend of mine said your beats aren't that great, no bad but not great. I took that to heart and learned piano and started writing songs, and emulated the greats. not to sell but to learn. I learned the power of effective kickdrums and layering, point is I learned way more than I thought I could ever.

I got better, much better and my sales were more frequent so I rinsed and repeated the process.
    Marketing? Close to zero marketing to be honest.

I pulled in close to 320k in 2017 (110k through my beat store) and 2018 in on track to do better. I feel like I don't really give good advice because it's so general "just have great beats" but that really is the key to my success.

In 2003 I offered a service to help producers sell beats which I don't do anymore but 95% of the producers that were failing is because they expected their service to do all the heavy lifting for them.

They all had one thing is common, they were lazy and it's VERY HARD to motivate people if they don't have the motivation to improve. Had to give up the service because I was just wasting my time and didn't feel good accepting their money.

Get so good that when people hear your beats, you simply can't be ignored and they purchase.

7. Jaytay

Aug 6 User since 2015 + 207 RP

So forget marketing and just make better beats? Hmmmmm

8. Griffin

Aug 6 Power Contributor User since 2015 Colorado + 1074 RP

'@Jaytay' You're reading seems a bit selective, that's not what people are saying. What's being said is to watch out of marketing hype and focus on what pays the most dividends which is your actual product (beat quality)

9. godlike

Aug 6 User since 2015 New York + 839 RP

If you guys want actual marketing tips without hype click here

These are the tips I used when I started and served me extremely well to the point I don't use many of them now as I'm now on auto-pilot when it comes to sales. It's a long read but it's free and can change your life.

10. Darkair

Aug 6 User since 2015 San Francisco + 268 RP

My opinion is that every beat store platform offers EVERYTHING you need to succeed, I just so happen to prefer Soundgine. Don't overthink marketing guys.

Build it and they will come.

11. sontwisted

Aug 7 Power Contributor User since 2015 Brooklyn NY + 2147 RP
    Edited 4 months ago by sontwisted

'@musicbox' whats your instagram

12. fusion

Aug 7 User since 2016 Florida, USA + 492 RP

@Tone' Get so good that when people hear your beats, you simply can't be ignored and they purchase.

Co-sign.

13. DEVIZE

Aug 8 Qld, Australia + 304 RP

@Tone' Get so good that when people hear your beats, you simply can't be ignored and they purchase.

Definately this.

14. Liz Vega

Aug 8 User since 2016 + 987 RP

'@musicbox' &' @Tone' really? i mean is it just this? really hot beats? damn so mine maybe are trash lol :-D i'm not making a sell, thinking about giving up, not the best thing to say i know,its just difficoult to keep goin' on :-)

15. sontwisted

Aug 9 Power Contributor User since 2015 Brooklyn NY + 2147 RP

'@DEVIZE' are you also just postimg to social media without any marketing

16. DEVIZE

Aug 9 Qld, Australia + 304 RP

@sontwisted'' @DEVIZE' are you also just postimg to social media without any marketing

I have tried FB & IG promo campaigns which imo don't do well unless you are selling a product, there is no value involved for a customer in just promoting your beats for sale. Instagram gets me the most sales by using hashtags, checking out rapper vids, commenting, liking, direct messaging them and getting to know them. Once you have a fully engaged artist buying off you its like regular income. I have 1 artist who pretty much buys beats off me every week, not including leases from less serious artists. I could make more money but I already have a full time job, this is side money and my passion since 2000.

Try bring some Fresh Variety to your page, artists are sick of those generic metallic snare trap beats.

17. itbangz

Aug 9 Power Contributor User since 2016 + 1344 RP

'@DEVIZE' why you dont want to do music full time? or your full time job is your dream job?

18. DEVIZE

Aug 9 Qld, Australia + 304 RP

@itbangz'' @DEVIZE' why you dont want to do music full time? or your full time job is your dream job?

I did do music full time bout 2003-2006 , while I loved it then it became tedious and I lost a lot of drive & creativity by just churning & churning beats out daily. I work full time in sales, for the past 8 years and I do enjoy it + I get paid for holidays, sick leave, commission, my work days are catered to fit in with my kids schooling and mrs work load aswell. Half price discount on anything in store including 3d printers, drones, cctv, solar, sports cameras..shit loads basically.

Doing music on my days off or at night in phones is my get away, my passion and can focus on creating something Ive grown to love more so now than ever before. Selling beats weekly is a great inspiration but I think id still do it regardless.

19. 3 months ago

triplehomicide

Aug 24 User since 2016 + 427 RP

Why is paying for ads so looked down upon?

20. sontwisted

Aug 25 Power Contributor User since 2015 Brooklyn NY + 2147 RP

'@triplehomicide' most don't know how to do it properly and make it work so they waste money on it and get a bad taste for it

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!