Earned 77K with Soundgine

1. last year

Tone

23 Apr 2018 User since 2016 Florida USA + 771 RP
    Edited last year by Tone

Started in 2016 full time and never looked back. Sales in 2016 and mid 2017 was bleak but kept pushing my craft and now here I am on my way to 80k in sales.

-image-

-image-

The secret sauce? Have great sounding beats.
    Mentally, put the thought of making sales way WAY back in your head, they come later.
    I started replicating Dr. Dre Chronic's album and modded it so it wasn't an exact copy and people loved it. Truthfully, I did it to learn but now make 100% original.

Doesn't sound scientific I know but that's what it comes down to.
    Hope this inspires some B)

2. Griffin

23 Apr 2018 Power Contributor User since 2015 Colorado + 1080 RP

Damn dude inspiring. Thanks for sharing.
    I've always made beats that I like, but since we are selling to the masses, perhaps I need to make beats that's popular as well.

3. minty

23 Apr 2018 User since 2016 + 390 RP

@Tone' Mentally, put the thought of making sales way WAY back in your head, they come later.

So important!

4. gadget

23 Apr 2018 User since 2016 + 25 RP

That's awesome, but it actually makes me feel bad :/
    Seems like only a few can succeed.

5. Liz Vega

23 Apr 2018 User since 2016 + 987 RP
    Edited last year by Liz Vega

Great' @Tone' i'm really happy about your success!
    Sadly i do agree with' @gadget' in this moment, i hope i will change my mind tho,lol.
    I know i've started since 10 days, so basically i can't speak at all, but atm it seems impossible to me, i know it takes time and unfortunately my patience is not so big, but i don't know i'm a little bit discouraged right now :(
    May i see your website please?

6. Tone

23 Apr 2018 User since 2016 Florida USA + 771 RP

'@gadget' By no means did I post this to make anyone feel bad, that was not my intention. Success did not come until later. Just like anything else in life, the fruits of labour come after you put in your time.

Get that "Makes me feel bad" out your system, it's a disease.
    Use your passion to get better and don't let anyone tell you that you can't.

7. Liz Vega

'@Tone' i'm happy when i hear about success story, its a good thing for everyone i guess,not only for a single person, but you know at the beginning its not easy, because you know, there are bills,rent and stuff like that and its a lot of stress to manage!

8. killtraxxx

23 Apr 2018 User since 2017 SF + 662 RP

I saw this picture online years ago and pin this above my monitor on the wall. This single pic pushed me through the growing pains of gaining sales traction.

-image-

9. Liz Vega

'@killtraxxx' yeah this is absolutely true but its not so easy,and sometimes is frustating to upload songs or videos on youtube and see that the views are 30-35, but i'm not complaining its just a rough time and for sure you know what i mean :)

10. sontwisted

23 Apr 2018 Power Contributor User since 2015 Brooklyn NY + 2234 RP

'@Tone' how are you driving traffic to your beats

11. cfl

23 Apr 2018 User since 2017 + 22 RP

'@Tone' is this enough to sell beats full time without an extra job?

12. Tone

24 Apr 2018 User since 2016 Florida USA + 771 RP
    Edited last year by Tone

'@Liz Vega' Oh I know about paying bills, I went over my head a few years ago and now live within my means. Admittingly, you need a period of just investing in yourself which means time, payment for services like hosting, beat store, etc. It's not lost money, it's just investment that is usually standard when starting a business. If you sleep during this process then you're surely losing money.
    '
    @killtraxxx' Exactly
    '
    @sontwisted' I'm a little old fashioned when it comes to marketing. I spent 3 months in Los Angeles and walked the streets of Venice and handed out business cards and CD's. I still do this locally. I have thick skin so I can handle rejection but I'd say 35% of the people check you out. My biz cards have a discount code to get them started, word spreads out from there.

No doubt social media is powerful, but I just don't use it.
    '
    @cfl' Truthfully, no. Selling beats is one hell of a supplement though and I'd say sales almost equals to a full time job but I have a mortgage, kids, dog the whole thing and I do work another job part time as a law assistant, but I enjoy it. The thing I like is that this is automatic money, set it and forget it.

Anyway, I am no way a professional and I emailed Soundgine and asked where I am as top earners and they said I don't even crack the top 50 earners, lol so this tells me there are some cats absolutely killing it, the problem is I don't think they bother posting on the forum. It's not Soundgine's style to use the success of producers as advertising tools to gain exposure (which I respect) so I can't tell you who they are otherwise I'd pick their brain.

My strategy has always been

Shut the door to my office for days
    Work my ass off. There would be days where I couldn't tell if it was AM or PM because I was so damn focused. Ask yourself, do you have this dedication? I don't work as hard anymore because of what I put in initially, but it is smart to at least maintain from time to time. Trust me, there is ALWAYS something to do to make your business better without waiting for Soundgine to come up with new updates, all the tools are there.

Anyway, I'm off to the East Coast and boarding a flight in 30 minutes, but I'll answer any question in a few days.

Just have mad work ethic and create top notch beats. What I mean by that is create beats that are popular and current.

Much LOVE and remember I'm NOT BETTER than you.

13. chrisville

24 Apr 2018 User since 2017 + 841 RP

Very Inspirational, Thanks for sharing. I think I've earned more through other payment. Especially upcoming rappers, don't understand PayPal and don't use it either.

14. Breeze

25 Apr 2018 User since 2015 London + 838 RP

Thanks for sharing!

15. sontwisted

26 Apr 2018 Power Contributor User since 2015 Brooklyn NY + 2234 RP

'@Tone' How many cds did you hand out

16. Where are the bulk of your sales coming from....mobile or desktop?

17. Tone

17 May 2018 User since 2016 Florida USA + 771 RP

I apologize for not getting back to you guys right away as I'm midway through my travels.
    '
    @sontwisted' I'd say close to 500 or so. As I said, most people don't even listen to the CD but I got 2 huge contacts by doing this (One by Island Records) which resulted in getting other jobs by them just picking up the phone for me.
    '
    @triplehomicide' Desktop by FAR. Most of my clients want to hear the beat from desktop speakers or a system connected to a PC or Mac. The serious clients anyway.

18. Mike

24 May 2018 User since 2016 New York + 419 RP

Big inspiration! How in-depth do you go with setting up your player? Do you use the subscription feature?

19. Tone

24 May 2018 User since 2016 Florida USA + 771 RP

Tell you the truth I spend close to nothing in the Soundgine admin. I upload beats, album art, zips, and pricing and I'm done. I spend more time on the forum, lol.

Upload it and forget it.

20. '@tone'

Do you put full beats or snippets on the CD's?

Also, is your customer base only local?

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!