Copyright, royalties, leases, etc.

1. last year

powerup

11 Apr 2018 User since 2018 + 144 RP

Hey guys!

I'm new to Soundgine, and also new to the forum. Already got my website set up and some beats on it too. Gotta say that i chose Soungine because of the great support i saw on the forum and because of the updates and customer support too.

Well, let's get to the point:
    I recently got a placement with my country's biggest rapper, which lead me to work with a lot of upcoming artists and some established ones too.
    One of them is Big Soto, another pretty big and established rapper from a neighbor country, Venezuela.
    He wants one of my beats, ULTIMATE, that you can listen to in my beatstore. The problem is that his manager isn't ok with royalties splitting, so i'd go with asking for a good ammount of money to compensate royalties.
    The other day i found out about Audiam and how they could get me money from youtube plays, so i signed up with them and told Soto that if he gave me a good advance, i could give him non-exclusive rights to the beat and be ok with earning just ad income from YouTube.
    But i'm SO confused now, so i hope that you guys can help me a bit on this.
    -The beat is already registered on Audiam.
    -I want to be able to lease it multiple times, even after Soto's song is up on Spotify, Deezer, iTunes, etc etc (i know it's legally possible to do that, but i don't know how)
    -I want to STILL be the owner of my beat's copyright.

Some people says that i should register it on copyright.gov (i already got an account, in case i need it) and then sign up to BMI or ASCAP and give him a License...

I don't know, it's pretty confusing and shady at this point so i hope you guys can help me as fast as possible, cause he's waiting (gonna be in the studio in like 10 hours so yeah, i'm kind of rushed)

Thank you so much in advance!

'@powerup' initially you'd want to get more than royalties. Don't forget your publishing percentage also. But its more than just a copyright, signing up to bmi and wait for the money. you have to actually make sure the artist does as they are supposed to. in which half of them don't even understand the process of registering a song. sad to say but you have to stay on these artists to stick to their agreements.

As far as the asshole manager goes, who seems quite dodgy, whatever has been agreed upon in your licensing terms you are entitled to. Which is why i say you have to make sure the artist has done proper paperwork. First thing is first make sure there is a split sheet produced and signed by both parties after the license agreement.

Keep in mind, the beat itself is your creation. you retain the copyright to it. In order for that artist to make a song, you are allowing them to exploit the copyright that you own. Im not saying push your weight around because it can cause a ball swinging contest, but know your rights as the beat maker/producer and know your worth.

Once they have purchased your beat, you are entitled to a producer fee, or advances on your royalties. Don't get greedy though because anything upfront has to be recouped. Id get a good entertainment lawyer if i were you. just off the simple fact this is a big placement.

also it sounds like you may possibly be beat out of publishing also. an entertainment lawyer will be able to negotiate your royalty, also your royalty rate, publishing splits, and everything else that could be making you money. that your ENTITLED to. Last but not least, tell the manager to find something red hot with a sharp point to sit on.

2. sontwisted

12 Apr 2018 Power Contributor User since 2015 Brooklyn NY + 2244 RP
    Edited last year by sontwisted

'@powerup' first off fuck that manager as the producer you own 50 percent of the song how is he not going to give you your royalties any upfront money is just an advance against your royalties so he is trying go jerk you out of the money you are supposed to make i wouldnt do the deal for exclusive now if he agrees to non exclusive just make up a contract outlining his usage rights we uploaded a couple of templates in this thread if you dont already have a contract just pick one and edit it https://soundgine.com/forum/index.php/1366-license-templates-beat-producer-contract

When you sell a beat you still own the copyright you have to specifically state that you are selling the copyright for it to exchange hands even if you dont state that you retain the copyright you still retain it.

Copyright.gov will prove you own it in case of a lawsuit bmi and ascap are going to collect royalties for the song i would register it those royalties belong to you even shady ass record labels give your points

Audiam is not a good fit for electronic music creators you cant get any beat that has any sound available to the public in it protected by them so unless you are playing every single instrument yourself you wont be protected dont waste your time.

As of February your youtube channel has to have at least 1000 subscribers and 4000 hours of watch time per year or you cant monetize your videos and even if you meet that youtube pays the lowest streaming rates you would have to get tens of millions of views to make up that royalty money

Ps the reason his manager doesnt want todo royalties is gets 20 percent of whatever his client makes by cutting you out of royalties his client makes double and so does he take for example you do a 50/50 split and the song makes a million dollars you each get $500,000 the manager gets $100,000 out of sotos $500,000 without the royalties soto gets $800,000 and the manager gets $200,000 dont fall it get your money or dont do the deal

3. powerup

12 Apr 2018 User since 2018 + 144 RP

Thanks a lot my man!
    And one last question.
    If i register the beat's copyright and i sign up to BMI to get royalties
    Am i able to collect them even if the manager doesn't want to?

4. SkillyMusic

12 Apr 2018 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 2534 RP

'@sontwisted' good post
    '
    @powerup' I like what you did with that color scheme to indicate the style of beats by using thumbnails. That's a nice and clever way of doing that!

5. maddmannmuzik

12 Apr 2018 User since 2016 Answer Aiken, S.C. + 667 RP

'@powerup' initially you'd want to get more than royalties. Don't forget your publishing percentage also. But its more than just a copyright, signing up to bmi and wait for the money. you have to actually make sure the artist does as they are supposed to. in which half of them don't even understand the process of registering a song. sad to say but you have to stay on these artists to stick to their agreements.

As far as the asshole manager goes, who seems quite dodgy, whatever has been agreed upon in your licensing terms you are entitled to. Which is why i say you have to make sure the artist has done proper paperwork. First thing is first make sure there is a split sheet produced and signed by both parties after the license agreement.

Keep in mind, the beat itself is your creation. you retain the copyright to it. In order for that artist to make a song, you are allowing them to exploit the copyright that you own. Im not saying push your weight around because it can cause a ball swinging contest, but know your rights as the beat maker/producer and know your worth.

Once they have purchased your beat, you are entitled to a producer fee, or advances on your royalties. Don't get greedy though because anything upfront has to be recouped. Id get a good entertainment lawyer if i were you. just off the simple fact this is a big placement.

also it sounds like you may possibly be beat out of publishing also. an entertainment lawyer will be able to negotiate your royalty, also your royalty rate, publishing splits, and everything else that could be making you money. that your ENTITLED to. Last but not least, tell the manager to find something red hot with a sharp point to sit on.

6. sontwisted

12 Apr 2018 Power Contributor User since 2015 Brooklyn NY + 2244 RP

He probably wont register it with your information but if you got it registered with correct info bmi will go after your royalties i would watch thst artist they might change the song name to keep you from properly registering but like' @maddmannmuzik' said get contracts and split sheets and if your not confident in doing it yourself get an entertainment lawyer

7. chrisville

12 Apr 2018 User since 2017 + 872 RP

When you get a placement its time for a lawyer simple no time to waste

8. powerup

13 Apr 2018 User since 2018 + 144 RP

@SkillyMusic'' @sontwisted' good post
    '
    @powerup' I like what you did with that color scheme to indicate the style of beats by using thumbnails. That's a nice and clever way of doing that!

Thanks a lot homie!

9. powerup

13 Apr 2018 User since 2018 + 144 RP

@maddmannmuzik'' @powerup' initially you'd want to get more than royalties. Don't forget your publishing percentage also. But its more than just a copyright, signing up to bmi and wait for the money. you have to actually make sure the artist does as they are supposed to. in which half of them don't even understand the process of registering a song. sad to say but you have to stay on these artists to stick to their agreements.

Great information dude. I might lost the artist's interest if i go heavy like this defending my worth, but i'm ok with it.
    Thank you A LOT!

or Sign Up to reply!