Do I need a hosting service for my files?

1. last year

Liz Vega

6 Apr 2018 User since 2016 + 987 RP

Hi guys, finally i'm a pro member of soundgine, i still can't believe it lol
    To be honest i'm a little bit lost setting up everything, is not so easy as i thought, but i know i will able to do everything lol
    As i asked in the title do i need a hosting service for my files? i have to upload the zip folder of my stems and ofc is really big like 400mb, do i need an external service for that?
    Second question: How do you upload your tracks? i mean do you upload them as the single mp3 or as a zip folder with the mp3 or wav and the license inside?
    I'm really sorry for my dumb questions, but as i said i'm a little bit lost :/
    Cheers
    Liz

2. OHLY

6 Apr 2018 Administrator User since 2015 London - Los Angeles + 1221 RP

Hello :)

There is a 100MB limit for uploads so for your 400MB files, you'll need a separate service for that.
    Here are some discussions about it, although the threads a bit old, there might be a newer better option for files that large, hopefully other members can recommend a files service.

https://soundgine.com/forum/index.php/55-what-service-do-you-upload-trackouts-to
    https://soundgine.com/forum/index.php/516-file-storage-for-mix-outs-and-larger-files

Looks like you already figured how to upload files for each license :)

Once you find a method to host your 400MB files, enter the URL of that file here
    (see attached file)

3. Liz Vega

Hi' @OHLY' thanks for your reply, i really apprecciate your help. :)
    I thought i needed a service like dropbox or mediafire, but i wasn't sure. I've read all the discussions you linked me and it seems that mediafire offers the best deal, but 1tb? I mean i have 10 beats (with all the stems) to upload and the files are big, so i guess that i'll finish 1tb in a little time, is there any service out there that offer more space?
    As fo the other question of mine i guess i'll do a zip file with the mp3 or wav and the license inside, i guess this is the right way,or better i hope lol :-D

4. Zeraphenom

6 Apr 2018 User since 2018 South Florida + 441 RP

'@Liz Vega' i usually dont trackout my beats unless i make an exclusive sale and i tell the client their files will be ready in 24-48 hours.

If you are going to trackout every beat, keep them on your computer or an external hard drive until you make a sale that requires them.

Worked out great for me and my clients were still happy.

5. Liz Vega

'@Zeraphenom' hi dude,thanks for your reply! well i've a license which is called "trackouts lease" so basically is based on the trackouts stems, but how do you setup something like you did? i mean when someone click on buy, its shows up different kind of licenses, if someone wants to buy an exclusive how can they buy from you in that way?? Explain to me please, because i'm going nuts lol :-D

6. Zeraphenom

'@Liz Vega' put a disclaimer in your terms and conditions plus on the contract as well stating, "trackouts will be delivered on a separate email within 24-48 hours"

That will clean your hands of any potential refunds or chargebacks if the client tries to be slick and say you breached the contract.

They will receive a stereo .wav or .mp3 automatically after they pay.

Also place the disclaimer under your player where your pricing is. (Your License layout)

7. Liz Vega

That's a good way to do that i guess, can you show me your website please? I would like to understand it better :-)

8. Zeraphenom

Edited last year by Zeraphenom

'@Liz Vega' My temporary link is zeraphenom.soundgine.com

Ultimately having a file service would be ideal but unless you are making consistent sales, it is not a necessity.

9. Liz Vega

'@Zeraphenom' first of all i really like your beats, the quality of the sound is outstanding,love them all.
    Now i got your point, but when someone buy your trackouts how do you send to them? do you use something like wetransfer? or dropbox? Do you ask them for their email address?

10. Zeraphenom

'@Liz Vega' thank you!!!

I upload the tracks to my google drive and send the link to the client along with an extra copy of the contract, social media info and a coupon code for 10-20% off their next purchase(depending on how much they've spent)

11. Liz Vega

Ok i see now' @Zeraphenom' :-) but is this still a professional way to do things? i don't know, but i guess that a buyer will be more happy if he can download everything after the payment, am i wrong?

12. Zeraphenom

Edited last year by Zeraphenom

'@Liz Vega'
    It depends,

Say you told the client 24 hours for the trackout and you send them in an hour, it shows that you care about your clients.

Now on the other hand, if your trackouts are larger than what soundgine can handle, you can upload trackouts to dropbox or google drive and paste the link in the auto download section per track so that the customer gets it automatically after they make their purchase. Either way, the customer will still have to click the link in order to download the stems.

Professionalism comes from how you interact with the client. When you get an email from a potential client, drop everything so that you can respond swiftly.
    9 times out of 10, a client is not going to make a trackout purchase without contacting you by email first ( in my experience)

13. Liz Vega

7 Apr 2018 User since 2016 + 987 RP
    Edited last year by Liz Vega

Oh ok your answer was super clear thank you' @Zeraphenom' :-D well i was thinking to use mediafire or dropbox as hosting service but i don't know which one is better tho. One thing that concern me is: if i use something like dropbox,lets say, when someone buy a beat from me i guess he receives a link where he can download my stems,right?so i presume that if he has got this link maybe he can send it to other friends and they can download stems too without buying my beat, i mean i guess is not so safe in that way, am i wrong? Damn, i thought it was easier this beat store thing, but i guess i will win at the end lol :-D thank you again!

14. Zeraphenom

7 Apr 2018 User since 2018 South Florida + 441 RP

'@Liz Vega'
    It's fairly simple once you get everything setup, the rest is mostly marketing. Probably more marketing than making actual music.

Mediafire has you covered with 1-time download links. Check the link below
    https://mediafire.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/207337837-Can-I-create-a-one-time-download-link-to-a-specific-file-?mobile_site=true

15. Liz Vega

'@Zeraphenom' this is a good thing, but i guess i can't use for soundgine player, i mean onetimedownload link is good if i send the stems personally not if i use it as a link for the player right?

16. Zeraphenom

'@Liz Vega' you can always change the 1-time link within your soundgine player everytime you make a sale.(i know that is tedious) but if you send them personally, you are still sending a link everytime you make a sale.

The majority of producers i have come across hardly ever have their stems sent automatically.

Ultimately, if someone wants to steal your beats, they will find a way to do it.

17. Liz Vega

'@Zeraphenom' yeah i'm worry about it and ask all these questions because someone already stole my beats,and believe me is a very bad thing, because i would never do something like that to another producer,this is sure. Ok i got your point now, anyway is better dropbox or mediafire in your opinion? i've done a lot of research but they are almost equal, maybe dropbox is the most used but i didn't understand which one is better honestly

18. Zeraphenom

'@Liz Vega'
    I would go with dropbox. When a person sees the name dropbox, they know they can trust that. Not sure I can say the same for mediafire

19. Liz Vega

10 Apr 2018 User since 2016 + 987 RP

sorry dude i really thought i answered to you,lol, i'm getting old :-D Thanks for your help anyway!

20. Zeraphenom

10 Apr 2018 User since 2018 South Florida + 441 RP

'@Liz Vega'
    You did lol. It was probably deleted when they did the server migration.

or Sign Up to reply!