More than just beats...

1. 2 months ago

fusion

Sep 7 User since 2016 Florida, USA + 345 RP

Who here sell more than just beats? I'm thinking of selling music for trailers.

2. Darkair

Sep 8 User since 2015 San Francisco + 224 RP

I think that topic has been well covered here but go for it. Apple sells more than just a phone. Expand, but go slow at first. I know people that started out selling beats and have gone on selling music for movies, tv shows etc...

It's a smart move that more should people should start doing including me.

3. Helix

Sep 11 User since 2015 San Diego, California + 712 RP

Go for it!

A producer friend of mine had to convince his girl to do voicetags and now it's a bigger business than selling beats. Something @PixelSashay should try out, she's got a voice on her.

4. PixelSashay

Sep 13 Power Contributor User since 2015 2 4 6 + 2160 RP

@fusion it's a good idea try it & see how it works for you. . .you might be pleasantly surprised. After all another stream of income is always welcomed right? Don't think just trailers either, if you have the time start messing around with video game, cartoon theme music etc you get the idea (o^_^o)

@Helix I offer that service, I've been doing it for a few years just not on a large scale. Thank you for that compliment btw I'm getting there vocally. . .hopefully it shows in these new songs that I have pending to release next year (^_^)/

5. 80z

Sep 20 User since 2015 + 819 RP

I sell trailer music to Sony pictures. I've almost stopped selling beats all together. I throw everything on the Soundgine player and disable the beat tab to Soundtracks.

Remember guys, selling beats could just be the beginning to your music career.

6. 8 weeks ago

@80z I sell trailer music to Sony pictures. I've almost stopped selling beats all together. I throw everything on the Soundgine player and disable the beat tab to Soundtracks.

Remember guys, selling beats could just be the beginning to your music career.

how in the world did you manage that? Did they approach you?

7. 80z

Sep 26 User since 2015 + 819 RP

@DreClem I recorded an introduction of myself, spent 2 minutes telling who I am and 3 minutes showcasing my music. I bought a lot of USB drives from eBay and shot them everywhere.

The tricky part of knowing where to send your USB (getting the correct address)
    10202 Washington Blvd, Culver City, CA 90232
    but I added a separate note right on top and said to forward to a music executive.

After $80 of USB purchases, I have a connect worth many times that.

They gave me a tester project which turned out to be bogus, got paid for it but it was a test to see if I was good with deadlines, I passed that test be warned if you ever take my approach. I learned this from another Soundgine member and seemed to be a better option than to wait for them to come to me which I feel would never happen. I felt like taking a proactive approach which helped out for me.

Just remember, people want to see who they are working with, not just a website. They want to see initiative and drive.

Hope this helps for anybody reading.

8. Thank you for that break down @80z . Very informative Post!! :-D

9. I'm also trying to get into commercials. That seems like 30 seconds of fun

10. P90Music

Sep 26 New York, NY + 92 RP

Honestly that is the best idea. I always recommend producer folks to get into TV, Film, and Mostly Video-games. I rather video-games because no matter how old. If the game is a great seller it will always sell. Just imagine having a song on Call Of Duty regardless of how much crap people say the game is, they'll still end up buying it. $60 plus tax each individual. Game sells Millions. Your percentage will be small from each sale but it will add up. Knowing how to get those connects is a bit tricky because it may cause you to travel. Like for example Conventions like E3 and Comic-Con have connections to TV/Film/Gaming etc. Or you can try Linkedin I've met developers of games, Commercial Video editors etc. There are a few routes but I suggest speaking to someone who has more experience.

11. 7 weeks ago

Yea video games sounds interesting! And even jungles for game apps on your phone, the possibilities are endless. Hell, YouTube intro music, WWE walkout videos, The NFL might even mess around and choose one of our songs to replace the official network music. Seriously tho that would be crazy, highly unlikely but crazy

or Sign Up to reply!