Hey my Producer Family

1. 2 weeks ago

Hey guys,
    New here to Soundgine, and I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed with the layout and ease of this website. Most importantly, I like the community here and after reading a bunch of forum posts I am more than inspired to get out there, create my image, and market myself.
    One question?....
    Do you guys mix your own beats, or do you have a mixing engineer do it? I have great sounding beats, but they are just not mixed correctly and I am considering just sending them to an engineer and be done with it. How much do these engineers charge? I am filled with questions, so I will mostly be on these forums to ask questions smh lol

I dont mix mines yet i am in the process of learning mixing engineers charges vary greatly the standard rates i have seen from people online with real studios is $150 but you can find guys doing it for $30-$50 i honestly dont even worry about it too much as the artist should really be getting the mixing done after they lay their vocals it may be a waste of time but it may improve your sales to have the tracks a little cleaner younwill have to decide if its worth it or not

2. sontwisted

Sep 4 Power Contributor User since 2015 Answer Brooklyn NY + 1352 RP
    Edited 2 weeks ago by sontwisted

I dont mix mines yet i am in the process of learning mixing engineers charges vary greatly the standard rates i have seen from people online with real studios is $150 but you can find guys doing it for $30-$50 i honestly dont even worry about it too much as the artist should really be getting the mixing done after they lay their vocals it may be a waste of time but it may improve your sales to have the tracks a little cleaner younwill have to decide if its worth it or not

3. an0nym0u5beats

Sep 4 Power Contributor User since 2016 Los Angeles + 1465 RP

@DreClem welcome to @Soundgine and the forums ;)

Ok so you twisted my arm...

Here is a shamless plug to my mixing and mastering services ;)
    www.mixandmastermytracks.com

IMO, i would say that most producers starting out will mix and master their own beats. But in my experience, as a producer grows and focuses more on their beats and has cash flow, they will outsource their beats for mixing and mastering to a professional. I am a recording, mixing, mastering engineer first and a "producer" second. This is what i do for a living, the beats are just extra income ;)

And to note, all @Soundgine members get free mastering when they buy a Mixing plan ;)

4. Yea I figured that an artist cannot really hear themselves on a track that is not mixed well. The right mix can also make an instrumental pop when they initially hear it. I have been looking online at tutorials on mixing and mastering, but what are some quick tips to mixing an instrumental well? Ive heard laying each element on its own EQ, among other things. @an0nym0u5beats besides me just routing all my music through an engineer, how long did it take u to become a "mixing guru"

5. @sontwisted I dont mix mines yet i am in the process of learning

how long u been learning, cuz there is nothing like creating an instrumental and properly mixing it

6. an0nym0u5beats

Sep 4 Power Contributor User since 2016 Los Angeles + 1465 RP
    Edited 2 weeks ago by an0nym0u5beats

@DreClem thats a tough question man, that would be like me asking you how or what tips to make a beat and how long will it take before i become a famous beat maker 0_o

Tips...Mix with your ears, not your eyes or brain ;)

For what its worth, I have been doing this professionally, (meaning all my income is from this) since 2007 and im still learning ;)

7. lol, I hear you. just gotta keep practicing

8. 10 years! Thts pretty established and still learning, can never stop learning. But what is Mixing plan that u speak of and where can I find it?

9. an0nym0u5beats

Sep 5 Power Contributor User since 2016 Los Angeles + 1465 RP

@DreClem

www.mixandmastermytracks.com

10. sontwisted

Sep 5 Power Contributor User since 2015 Brooklyn NY + 1352 RP

@DreClem seriously trying to do it for a month

11. @sontwisted @DreClem seriously trying to do it for a month

that sounds about right for me too, mixing equipment is definitely needed tho. Or maybe not? I am currently using Logic for both creating and mixing. Do I really need all that equipment to get that perfect industry sound?

12. sontwisted

Sep 5 Power Contributor User since 2015 Brooklyn NY + 1352 RP

@DreClem you dont need equipment there are plenty of people who do it with plugins in their daws and have amazing sounds its just preference i learn better hands on so i want an actual mixer so i can turn knobs and move faders but its not necessary

13. mixmp

Sep 5 Hartford, CT + 296 RP

The main thing is just training your ears and being aware of what to look out for. I mix my own.. but i also graduated with an audio engineer degree. Takes some time to learn but it saves you money if you're trying to avoid sending out your beats to be mixed.

I make my beats in MPC Studio and then mix in Pro Tools. You definitely don't need equipment to do so.

14. last week
    Edited last week by beatsbyoyo

I disagree with the statement that one person can't mix AND master a track, you just shouldn't do it in the same room. Every room sounds different and if you didn't hear the flaws of your production in room A while mixing you are not going to hear it in the mastering stage in room A either.

@DreClem Proper EQ (cut what is not needed), don't over-compress or over-EQ your sounds and don't let frequencies interfere. A/B reference, walk through the room and search for the spot in your room with the most bass and analyse your bass and mix from that position. You will learn a lot more by at least trying it yourself.

15. Yea I have learned a lot within the past month by playing around with plugins and buttons and knobs. Usually I don't have to worry about it because the local artists I usually sell the beats to mix after they record vocals. But when I just started this website and diving into the world of online selling, I realize it is a concern of mine now :S

16. Thanks for the tip @beatsbyoyo , and that logo is funky! Did you design that yourself?

17. @DreClem Thank you, yes I did! About using effects, I learned a lot about compression and equalizing by using the FabFilter bundle. Those plugins visualize the process so it makes you understand it a lot faster. A plugin I would recommend for A/B referencing is Mastering The Mix REFERENCE. It has the same feel as a FabFilter plugin, just make sure you use high quality reference files.

18. ok I will try that plug in. What DAW do u use?

19. @DreClem FL Studio for both recording and producing. Doesn't really matter what DAW one is using but FL Studio just offers a workflow I like.

20. O ok so the fabfilter bundle is just a plug and play I can just download, from where? Preferably a reputable site

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!