Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro (80 ohm) Vs. Audio Technica m50x

1. 3 weeks ago

Liz Vega

Aug 30 User since 2016 + 577 RP

Hi guys!i'm renewing my studio setup and i need a new headphones.
    I've read a lot about these 2 headphones and i know they are both good but i can't really decide.
    What is your opinion guys? Have you tried them?

Cheers

Liz

2. godlike

Aug 30 User since 2015 New York + 758 RP

Still love my Grado SR-60.

Check out this thread
    https://soundgine.com/forum/index.php/502-best-headphones-for-ipod-general

3. godlike

Aug 30 User since 2015 New York + 758 RP

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Grado-Labs-Prestige-Series-SR60-Studio-Stereo-Headphones-Black-Tested-/182739017290?epid=766641526&hash=item2a8c181e4a:g:lrMAAOSwy5BZpfV0

Great price too.

4. SkillyMusic

Aug 30 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 2213 RP

@Liz Vega Hi guys!i'm renewing my studio setup and i need a new headphones.
    I've read a lot about these 2 headphones and i know they are both good but i can't really decide.
    What is your opinion guys? Have you tried them?

Cheers

Liz

I own the beyerdynamic and they are perfect. crystal-clear sound. I would definitely recommend them!

5. an0nym0u5beats

Aug 30 Power Contributor User since 2016 Los Angeles + 1478 RP

+ 2 for the DT770's!

I own 2 pair ;) Their range is insane!

6. Liz Vega

Aug 31 User since 2016 + 577 RP

Thank you so much for all your answers guy!I've read a lot over the internet about the best cans under 200$, i know every pros and cons, but still don't know which one to buy. For example i've read a lot of good things about the beyerdynamic, but in the charts the audio technica are often in the first position, do you know why? is it just because the audio technica are popular like beats by dre or because they are really really good and better than the beyerdynamic? Unfortunately i don't have the opportunity to try any of them, so i would like to know as much as i can about these 2 headphones :)

7. an0nym0u5beats

Aug 31 Power Contributor User since 2016 Los Angeles + 1478 RP

Frequency Response:
    DT770 = 5Hz - 35000Hz

Frequency Response:
    M50x = 15Hz - 28000Hz

Do you want a set of headphones that will allow you to hear things in your mix that you've never heard before, and will allow you to make better judgements? Or do you just want to get a set of headphones because what "charts" say ;)

8. Liz Vega

sorry dude i didn't make myself clear :-D i've already done a mistake in terms of headphones, i bought the studio beats and imo they are so bad,really i've wasted my money. So i don't want to make this mistake again, that's why i asked a comparison between the two!

9. Liz Vega

oh sorry i forgot @an0nym0u5beats and @SkillyMusic do you guys use them with an amp?

10. an0nym0u5beats

Sep 1 Power Contributor User since 2016 Los Angeles + 1478 RP

I have a PreSonus Central Station for the control room that feeds into a Samson Sphone that feeds into the tracking room for all headphones. So yes, its running through an amp, but technically anything you plug your headphones into is an amp ;) Unless its a watermelon or something...

If you want flat, true, and accurate headphones, then go with the DT770's. If you want headphones that hype up the music and color it, then go with anything else in that price range.

If you really want truly amazing headphones, then get the DT 1990's ;)

11. 2 weeks ago

itbangz

Sep 3 User since 2016 + 702 RP

@an0nym0u5beats Frequency Response:
    DT770 = 5Hz - 35000Hz

Frequency Response:
    M50x = 15Hz - 28000Hz

these specifications are bullshit. does mean nothing at all. I dont see whales in the thread :)
    Go to store and listen to you favourite track in both.

I own m50's for a long time and they are completely worn out visually. But I prefer them to beyer's.
    m50 - more flat sound. beyers - more bass and much more highs. Make me wanna throw LP at 4 Khz to every sound lol. Personal preference.

12. an0nym0u5beats

Sep 3 Power Contributor User since 2016 Los Angeles + 1478 RP

@itbangz
    I own m50's for a long time and they are completely worn out visually. But I prefer them to beyer's.
    m50 - more flat sound. beyers - more bass and much more highs. Make me wanna throw LP at 4 Khz to every sound lol. Personal preference.

lol thats funny because i feel the exact opposite about the DT770's. I think they are some of the flattest headphones around and do not exaggerate anything, where as the m50's sound like they are trying too hard to be a good headphone.

I dont hear any hype in the low or high end in the DT770's. I just think that because of their extended low and high end frequency response, they take some getting used to. But that goes for any speaker ;) Not to mention the suede ear covers, so comfy, i can wear these for hours.

@Liz Vega you can literally spend days on forums and threads asking what to get and who prefers what and still never get the "answer" you are looking for. In the end, whatever you get is probably a step up more than what you already have anyway, so it really doesnt matter ;) And honestly, if you "know" your monitors and headphones, than it really doesnt matter what you have, as long as you know how it translates to the real world, you could mix on earbuds if you spent the time and effort. That is, if this whole discussion is about headphones for production and mixing purposes and not for pure listening enjoyment.

13. grim

Sep 3 User since 2016 + 240 RP

Just get some fucking Skull Candy's and call it a day.

14. _pm

Sep 3 User since 2016 + 506 RP
    Edited 2 weeks ago by _pm

@grim I hope one day you'll get a "Power Contributor" badge.

15. last week

Liz Vega

Sep 13 User since 2016 + 577 RP

Lol guys i bought the DT at the end..and yeah they are good,but as you said @an0nym0u5beats its not about the headphones you use...anyway they are different from the akg for sure,and i love how they sound! Thanks for all your answers guys!

p.s @grim i had the Sol headphones maybe the skull candy are better :-D

16. SkillyMusic

Sep 13 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 2213 RP

@Liz Vega Lol guys i bought the DT at the end..and yeah they are good,but as you said @an0nym0u5beats its not about the headphones you use...anyway they are different from the akg for sure,and i love how they sound! Thanks for all your answers guys!

p.s @grim i had the Sol headphones maybe the skull candy are better :-D

Good choice. Another great thing about the Beyerdynamic is that every single part of it can be replaced. Check for yourself. http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/spareparts.html?kopfhoerermodell=686

or Sign Up to reply!