Mixing

1. 6 weeks ago

what you think about mixing with headphones?
    good or bad whats your opinion?

Spacedoutbeats.com

2. highflown

Aug 10 User since 2015 + 520 RP

I mix solely on headphones. It's all preference and what you are used to.

3. mixmp

Aug 10 Hartford, CT + 296 RP

I use a pair of AKG K553s to mix with JBL 305s. its all preference.

4. an0nym0u5beats

Aug 11 Power Contributor User since 2016 Los Angeles + 1478 RP
    Edited 2 weeks ago by an0nym0u5beats

I mix on my Yamaha HS 80's with matching sub, but i always double check my mixes with my beyerdynamic dt 770's, along with how the material sounds in my 2 cars.

Back in the day, if you ever wanted to start WWIII on a forum, just ask "what headphones should I mix with", surly all hell would break loose and there would be riots in the streets as it was "forbidden" to mix with headphones, let alone mention those words out loud or on a forum.

I think between the younger generation not being able to afford good monitors, and more and more people only listening to music on headphones, it became more and more acceptable to mix on headphones. However, i guarantee you will mix differently on both.

In my experience, a mix only with headphones never sounds as good on other sources as a mix on a good set of monitors does. Not to say you cant get a good mix from using headphones, even crappy ones if you know them well enough, Im just saying when the source music is that close to your ears, you will make different choices on how you mix.

Anyone interested to do an experiment?

Clone or copy one of your projects. Do a mix using only headphones. Now open up the copy and do a mix using only your monitors. DO NOT compare the 2 mixes till you are completely finished with both. Meaning, DO NOT even listen to the headphone mix again till after you are finished with the monitor mix. Post them here in the forum and do not tell which is which till the end ;)

5. maddmannmuzik

Aug 11 User since 2016 Aiken, S.C. + 252 RP

I mix in both. you have to learn your headphones the same as monitors. i personally prefer monitors because of the defined center they give. Theres spaces that headphones just cant reach. But, Usually if i do mix in my cans i use the waves nx plugin. Its adjust the dimension of sound based on the measurement of your head and height. It almost sounds as if you were using monitors rather than headphones. Theres alot of plugins that do the same thing equally, but the waves version just kick ass.

6. 2 weeks ago
    Deleted 2 weeks ago by DreClem

or Sign Up to reply!