Marking "SOLD" to Push Sales

1. last year

Helix

13 May 2017 User since 2015 San Diego, California + 766 RP

I did a little experiment last week and displayed a couple beats as "SOLD" to push up demand. The general mindset is if customers go to your beat store and see that people are buying and seeing the "sold" badge, they will try to lock in any existing beats in your catalog.

Is it underhanded? Maybe slightly especially if you "unmark sold" it and causes a little confusion.

That being said, the results were positive. I gained more interest in my product via email and in the make offer option.

Mark some beats towards the top as "sold" and get traffic to your website. I'm not saying you should do this but all for experimenting, some of you may say it's unethical but to me unethical would be relisting sold beats after it's been purchased.

Big companies do this by releasing limited quantities or special editions to generate demand. When I go to a clothing website like "Supreme" for instance and see all the sold out products and makes me want in, this is just how the brain works.

2. Tristan

13 May 2017 User since 2015 San Francisco + 235 RP
    Edited last year by Tristan

Like the saying goes "People want what they can't have"
    That could be a dangerous experiment as you could lose out on a sale that an artist wants. I'd mark beats that you don't feel will sell anyway as sold.

Interesting thought.

3. Tone

13 May 2017 User since 2016 Florida USA + 689 RP

I found this works when you are starting out, but overall it's a bad habit to get into. Go with what works for you, just my opinion.

4. knocksquared

14 May 2017 Power Contributor User since 2014 Atlanta Ga area + 1222 RP
    Edited last year by knocksquared

These are different times... go with WHATEVER works... as long as you don't hurt anyone or their business... go for it. Big companies do stuff like this all the time.... its all about "wording". If marking beats "Sold" helps...then do it. Dudes posing as women online to get sales... Who cares DO IT ! Dudes saying they produced for "50 Cent" and got buyers thinking they mean 50 Cent the artist... but they actually meant they produced for 50 cent... as in sold a beat for 50 cent... but its all about the wording...lol...and WHO CARES... DO IT !

5. Mike

15 May 2017 User since 2016 New York + 400 RP
    Edited last year by Mike

Corporate companies do it all the time and they have spent millions on the phycology of online buyers. I used to work for a housing company that sell insurance packages. I was friends with the person in charge of the website and he told me they had fake counters like (only 3 packages left).

It was obviously bullshit but it pushed more sales.

6. godlike

18 May 2017 User since 2015 New York + 839 RP

Tried this technique the past few days and my sales jumped lol.
    Not sure if it's just coincidence or this ninja trick actually works.

What I did was upload beats I wouldn't have uploaded anyway and marked them as SOLD. Not sure how long I'll be doing this tho, just feels unnatural.

7. 808

14 Jun 2017 User since 2016 + 246 RP

So this experiment works.

I marked some beats I haven't sold and I personally don't think is my best work and I've been getting emails similar to this.
    -image-

The idea' @Helix '; mentioned to give the impression that my beats are in demand works.

8. Breeze

14 Jun 2017 User since 2015 London + 800 RP

Did you advertise to bring in traffic?

9. 808

14 Jun 2017 User since 2016 + 246 RP

Yup. Unless you have a big following you need to push traffic after making beats as sold. I posted on Instagram and Fiverr

10. last week

Jaytay

Dec 6 User since 2015 + 207 RP

Haha, I tried this method and got a push in sales, not sure if it's just coincidence or the mind game actually pushes the buyer to buy.

11. Jason Daws

Dec 6 User since 2017 + 18 RP

That's some shady ass shit, but whatevs (serious)

12. '@Helix '; great Idea, I'll try that! :)

@808' Yup. Unless you have a big following you need to push traffic after making beats as sold. I posted on Instagram and Fiverr

Could you explain what do you post on Fiverr?

or Sign Up to reply!