Beatstars Stealing from Producers?

1. ‹ Older
  2. 2 years ago

DNINE

4 Apr 2017 User since 2016 Brazil + 128 RP

Seems like the trend of many online services lately is to nickel and dime you to death. It's a shame because lots of online services are solid. I'm good with Soundgine since I won't asked to pay to remove my beats (remember RB?)

I get there are costs involved in running a server but having customers take the hit for something a company can handle annoys me, Soundgine has never raised the price or asked to pay for services that should be free. Knock on wood.

3. last year

InsaneBeatz

13 Aug 2017 User since 2017 + 3 RP

@Breeze' So much damn drama, not that I care but do you think Insanebeatz is being paid to say this? Just saying, I've heard the same negative press about Beatstars but playing devils advocate imagine if MFS had a hand in this article.

Again, just saying. Insanebeatz might be 100% reputable.

I don't get paid for saying this. I don't even know if myflashstore / airbit know about my article. Beatstars ripped me off multiple times. I had the most horrible experience ever with beatstars. And I sell beats online for maybe 6-7 years. But this was the biggest scam ever. Here are both of my articles about my beatstars experience:

Part 1:
    http://www.insane-beatz.com/2015/10/201510the-truth-about-beatstars-com-and-their-distribution-service/

Part 2:
    http://www.insane-beatz.com/2017/03/201703201703201703beatstars-made-money-beats-behind-back-review-experience-2017/

4. Katabok

13 Aug 2017 User since 2017 Aus + 130 RP
    Edited last year by Katabok

@InsaneBeatz' But this was the biggest scam ever. Here are both of my articles about my beatstars experience:

I rekon they should teach people how to content ID their own beats, it's not that hard to learn/get Audiam/AdRev.

5. sontwisted

13 Aug 2017 Power Contributor User since 2015 Brooklyn NY + 2234 RP

'@Katabok' audiam is no good anymore unless your are designing your own sounds you cant register beats that have any sounds or loops from any soundkits or popular daws

6. itbangz

16 Aug 2017 Power Contributor User since 2016 + 1508 RP

'@sontwisted'' @Katabok' Can you please make a short tutorial for content ID setup? And which 3rd party to choose?
    I tried to apply for youtube content id but they refused. tired of copyright claims against my beats.

7. sontwisted

16 Aug 2017 Power Contributor User since 2015 Brooklyn NY + 2234 RP

'@itbangz' i have not figured out an alternative yet for now i would say change every sound or dont use them at all

8. itbangz

16 Aug 2017 Power Contributor User since 2016 + 1508 RP

@sontwisted'' @itbangz' i have not figured out an alternative yet for now i would say change every sound or dont use them at all

i need basically the same that beatstars do.
    maybe' @soundgine' can implement content id too?

9. highflown

16 Aug 2017 User since 2015 + 655 RP

@itbangz' I tried to apply for youtube content id but they refused. tired of copyright claims against my beats.

I've been having this same problem as well and it's getting annoying. Artists that buy my beats end up registering there song with tunecore or something like that, and then I am the one that gets flagged with a copyright claim when its MY beat that I 100% produced. I'm not even sure how to go about handling the issue. Anyone have any ideas?

10. Katabok

16 Aug 2017 User since 2017 Aus + 130 RP

@itbangz' i need basically the same that beatstars do.

Hey man, long story short this is what I did (2017).

1. Signed up for both AdRev and Audiam (AdRev account takes longer to process)

2. AdRev takes 20% off videos that use your music for admin costs but you keep 100% of your monetisation from your videos on your channel. Audiam takes 25%, but you can get your account up and running in a few days (by up and running I mean uploading your music to their content ID system, it only takes a few days to get your ID "verified" in comparison to AdRev which I applied for 1-2 months ago and still haven't gotten the green light yet holla at yo boy...).

3. Start Uploading to Audiam while waiting for my AdRev account to get verified.

Audiam/ AdRevwill notify you if anyone's using your music. It will give the people using your music a "copyright notice" which is different from "copyright strike". AdRev will also notify you if someones using your music. Now here comes the "issue", someone using your music who has the right licenses will have to dispute the copyright claim on youtube with sufficient evidence.

I found a nice article on audio jungle which sums up how to dispute claims (https://help.market.envato.com/hc/en-us/articles/204484680-Buyers-Guide-to-YouTube-Content-ID-Copyright-Notices ) . The article uses an AdRev claim an example, I assume the same dispute method would work for Audiam.

I'm new to this myself, there should be more info on this topic because there's a lot off people selling their souls out here lol. I think beatstars takes a 25% cut as well just like audiam, but if you content ID YOUR music YOURSELF no one can fuccs wit you.

4. Once I get verified on AdRev I'll start uploading music to adrev because they take a smaller cut (20%)

5. Don't content ID the same beat on two different platforms (read your terms and conditions)

If anyone is still iffy on the whole content ID thing please check out this article (https://www.safemusiclist.com/adrev-copyright-claims-music-buyers/ ). TLDR if you don't content ID your shit someone eventually will.

Damn I should repost this on my blog

11. Katabok

@highflown' I've been having this same problem as well and it's getting annoying. Artists that buy my beats end up registering there song with tunecore or something like that, and then I am the one that gets flagged with a copyright claim when its MY beat that I 100% produced. I'm not even sure how to go about handling the issue. Anyone have any ideas?

You know what, I've read somewhere that unless the individual owns 100% of the beat they aren't even allowed to content ID it.

12. Katabok

@itbangz' i need basically the same that beatstars do.

btw that beat "without you (with hook)" lit, u be working with cash god as well :D

13. highflown

16 Aug 2017 User since 2015 + 655 RP

'@Katabok' So pretty much what you're saying bro is to prevent artists from registering our beats and then us getting a copyright notice, we need to content ID our beats FIRST as soon as you upload to youtube to get rid of all the confusion. That actually makes sense...Should of been doing this a long time ago, but I just wasn't aware of what really was going on but now I get it. Really appreciate you clearing that up.

14. Katabok

@highflown'' @Katabok' So pretty much what you're saying bro is to prevent artists from registering our beats and then us getting a copyright notice, we need to content ID our beats FIRST as soon as you upload to youtube to get rid of all the confusion. That actually makes sense...Should of been doing this a long time ago, but I just wasn't aware of what really was going on but now I get it. Really appreciate you clearing that up.

Yeah man, registering our music first on any Content ID (Audiam, Adrev etc) will allow us as a business to have more control over our product. If someone uses our music and they actually have the license for it, they can just dispute the claim themselves or inform us as the original owners, then we can help them out also.

I'm really new to the beat making thing in general bro, I've always putt off starting this thing until I saw Beatstars do their content ID. Then I hear all the bad press about Beatstars, but when I looked into it I found out the bad press was half beatstars fault and half "our fault" for not reading into what Content ID is and how to Content ID for ourselves. Sometimes we just get caught up in the hype aye..

15. sontwisted

16 Aug 2017 Power Contributor User since 2015 Brooklyn NY + 2234 RP
    Edited last year by sontwisted

Even if you upload your beat first that still doesnt fix anything last week i had a beat i uploaded to youtube and registered with bmi and audiam 7 months ago get a copyright strike from somebody that uploaded a beat 4 weeks ago because we both used a dj pain 1 kit and used the same sound ,even after i dusputed it and explained that it is a kit available fir everyone and the other producer does not own the copyright to it they just insisted on the claim and youtube told me i may get a strike on my account if i continue to fight it this is why audiam now says you cant claim anything that has a loop,beat,or sounds from kits or daws available to everyone. Youtube needs to identify copyright based on melody not individual sounds

16. Katabok

17 Aug 2017 User since 2017 Aus + 130 RP

'@sontwisted' Sorry that happened to you.

17. highflown

19 Aug 2017 User since 2015 + 655 RP

'@sontwisted' So if audiam isn't a good way to content ID beats, do you have any other sources we could check out? There's gotta be a way to fix this.

18. killtraxxx

19 Aug 2017 User since 2017 SF + 662 RP

First copyright your music, Google it.

Then apply for Content Identification here
    https://www.youtube.com/content_id_signup

(Make sure you fill everything out in full and DONT just skimp in these sections.

- Please explain in more detail why you would like to participate in the Content Identification Program:
    - Please provide a representative list of copyrighted works under your exclusive control:

If you get denied, try again a week later. Worked for me.

NEVER have any beat or music store have copyright control over your beats. Even if Soundgine offered content ID, I wouldn't do it. If Soundgine shuts their door suddenly, you're fucked.

Sorry' @Soundgine' I know you are good guys, just sayin
    I keep seeing people getting fucked by allowing 3rd party companies take control.

Your beats are like your girlfriend, don't let another man take ownership.

19. minty

19 Aug 2017 User since 2016 + 390 RP
    Edited last year by minty

'@killtraxxx' I think everybody gets the idea, what they are saying is that it's hard getting into the Youtube program, not everybody gets's in. I do agree however in not letting 3rd party companies take control over my material as it's such a huge risk I'm not willing to go down on, so I'll keep trying to do it via Google / Youtube.

Not naming any companies, but I pulled out and wanted to get my whole catalog removed from their content ID system and it took a letter from my family lawyer to finally make it happen.

A friend of mine wanted to remove his catalog from Youtube, long story but it only took 24 hours to get it removed, no lawyer needed.

20. sontwisted

20 Aug 2017 Power Contributor User since 2015 Brooklyn NY + 2234 RP

'@highflown' the problem isnt that audiam doesnt work the problem is as digital music producers we all now have access to and use some of the same kits,vsts,daws,loop packs sample packs etc and since none of us owns exclusive copyrights to any of those sounds it makes it difficult for content id services to identify your copyright over something that has the same sounds that someone else has claimd copyright on so the only real solution is either dont use. Any of those sounds and create everything from scratch or change the sounds so they are not so easily recognizable when compared to the source material

21. sontwisted

20 Aug 2017 Power Contributor User since 2015 Brooklyn NY + 2234 RP

'@tcustomz' hey. Man i just wanted your input on this topic as someone who actually changes the sound of your samples before you use them have you ran into any issues with youtubes content id

or Sign Up to reply!