How do you market your music?

1. 2 years ago

BuyMoreBeatsDotCom

2 Mar 2017 User since 2017 30 Min From Sacramento Nor Cal + 164 RP

Looking for ideas on what other have found to work to finding the target audience looking to buy beats

2. an0nym0u5beats

2 Mar 2017 Power Contributor User since 2016 Los Angeles + 1969 RP

If i told you...Id have to kill you ;)

Actually most of my advertisement is word of mouth in the real world. I work with a few clients a week, i tell them, they tell people and so on. I have found, however, that the ratio/% of real world advertisement vs online advertisement is very skewed. Meaning, if i tell 50 people in real life about my beats, 5 will buy or lease. So a 10% return. However, if i tell 5000 people via twitter, i will still get maybe 5 buys or leases, if that. However this is only a .1% return. My math may be off but you get the point. Granted, yes its easier to do online advertisements and marketing, but in my experience, real world advertisements pay off better for me. So much so that I keep a separate beat catalog for online vs "offline".

And I'm not saying to stop online marketing, I'm just saying mix it up, try some real world advertisements too and see what happens. Everyone knows that most artists make their money on the road doing shows, thats because they are filling real seats. While you might have 10k followers, i highly doubt you are getting 10% of them a month to buy or license your music. That would be 1000 people buying or leasing your music a month, and even if you were leasing beats for $5, that would be 5k a mo. Not saying its impossible, just very very unlikely. But that would be awesome huh ;)

I programmed a twitter bot, (completely legit btw) to tweet, retweet, like and follow for me 24/7. This way i can focus on real work. Remember kids, work smarter, not harder ;)

3. sontwisted

3 Mar 2017 Power Contributor User since 2015 Brooklyn NY + 2234 RP

'@anOnymOu5beats' any plans on sharing that bot

4. an0nym0u5beats

3 Mar 2017 Power Contributor User since 2016 Los Angeles + 1969 RP

'@sontwisted' Ha! Then I would really have to kill you ;)

Do you know any programming languages? Twitter has an API that you can request access to via various languages.

Here's a list directly from Twitter: https://dev.twitter.com/resources/twitter-libraries

5. itbangz

4 Mar 2017 Power Contributor User since 2016 + 1508 RP

'@an0nym0u5beats' price, just tell the price :D

btw ive seen many similar services ( read bots) that share, post and so on. is it really useful?

6. an0nym0u5beats

7 Mar 2017 Power Contributor User since 2016 Los Angeles + 1969 RP

'@itbangz'

$1,000,000.00 jk ;) Unfortunately as of now, my twitter bot is not in a state that can be "sold". ;)

I guess it depends on how you manage/value your time. If you've got the time to tweet multiple times a day promoting your beats, then I don't really see how one could benefit from a service/bot like that. But if you're like me and find that 24 hours in a day still isn't enough time to get stuff done, then something like that is a godsend.

Id rather be making beats than tweeting ;) Could almost be a bumper sticker huh? lol

7. 80z

7 Mar 2017 User since 2015 + 863 RP

'@an0nym0u5beats'

Marketing your bot as a service could be a good side business for you.

8. an0nym0u5beats

Waaaaaaaaay ahead of you' @80z' , and in more ways than one. ;)

9. mymixtapebeats

7 Mar 2017 User since 2017 Atlanta, GA + 469 RP

'@an0nym0u5beats' same here, I own an E-liquid line not sold online yet. and I also do graphics! Side businesses are awesome.

10. itbangz

7 Mar 2017 Power Contributor User since 2016 + 1508 RP

@an0nym0u5beats'' @itbangz'

$1,000,000.00 jk ;) Unfortunately as of now, my twitter bot is not in a state that can be "sold". ;)

I guess it depends on how you manage/value your time. If you've got the time to tweet multiple times a day promoting your beats, then I don't really see how one could benefit from a service/bot like that. But if you're like me and find that 24 hours in a day still isn't enough time to get stuff done, then something like that is a godsend.

Id rather be making beats than tweeting ;) Could almost be a bumper sticker huh? lol

i barely got time for beats ;( I wanted to make bot myself, but i think twitter is little bit dead. and its harder to make one for instagram.
    it feels like to make decent sales, you have to be talented musician, manager, programmer, designer, marketer...

11. mymixtapebeats

'@itbangz' well shit the only thing I can't do that you listed is write code :o

12. an0nym0u5beats

'@itbangz' completely agree 100%. It seems like the trend now, and has been for a while, in most industries is to have to wear as many hats as possible. But I don't really think that HAS to be done to generate sales, as the music should speak for itself, but It does help, specially on the marketing front if you have other skills to re-enforce your musical talent.
    I believe most of this is because of the internet and an embedded desire to be competitive buried in our subconscious as a means of survival. Back in the day, before the internet, you just did your own thing, and were really good at that 1 thing, and most were happy with that. But now that Joe can see what Jim is doing half way across the planet, Joe gets motivated to outdo Jim. Now Joe not only makes music, but also wants to learn how to make videos, to 1 up Jim. So Joe spends days and weeks on forums asking which video editing software is better, and starts heading to the torrents to download the latest crack of Adobe Premier or Vegas Video, only to learn that the "standard" in video editing is Final Cut. So Joe spends the next month learning Final Cut Pro and makes a crappy video.
    Well Jim see's Joe and his attempt to pass him, so now Jim not only starts making videos too, but also wants to learn some HTML to make a website. So now Jim spends the next month on forums trying to find out what CMS is better, WordPress, Joomla or Drupal or if he should just build a website from the ground up and then spends the next week trying to decide if Bootstrap is the best way to go and finally builds a website only to realize his graphic skills suck. So now Jim spends the next month finding a good torrent for Photoshop, watches some YouTube tutorials, and now can make crappy graphics for his crappy website because he still really has no idea what he's doing.
    Well damn, Joe thinks to himself, how can I top that? So now Joe gets a part time job so he can afford to take some business classes at the local community college so he can learn some marketing skills. Meanwhile, Jim is on a month long sabbatical in the Himalayan mountains learning kung-fu from monks because now the only way to really decide who is better is a fight to the death. And since Joe posts everything about his life on FaceBook, Jim knows exactly where Joe lives.
    But sadly, the death match never happens. Jim died climbing the mountain and Joe fell in love at the community college, got married and had a bunch of kids, so he doesn't even have time to make music anymore.
    Where was I? Oh yeah...
    It seems in today's world, everyone feels that they have to be a jack-of-all trades if they ever want to go anywhere. And while that may be somewhat true, just be careful climbing those mountains ;)

13. mymixtapebeats

'@an0nym0u5beats' what did I just read? lmao I'm on my way to Tibet right now!! LOL

14. 8-Bit Crab

7 Mar 2017 User since 2016 San Francisco + 193 RP

Basically what' @an0nym0u5beats' is trying to say is stick to what you're good at.
    Don't be a....

"Jack of all trades, master of none"

15. Blacksheep

7 Mar 2017 User since 2016 Washington + 367 RP

-image-

16. an0nym0u5beats

8 Mar 2017 Power Contributor User since 2016 Los Angeles + 1969 RP

lol' @mymixtapebeats'' @8-Bit Crab' knows what im saying ;)

I promise you guys I am 100% sober when I post on here. If I were to drunk post, it would be in an IRC channel ;)

Kidding aside, we are all here with a common goal, and when one of us makes it, we all make it ;)

17. itbangz

8 Mar 2017 Power Contributor User since 2016 + 1508 RP

'@an0nym0u5beats' haha good read XD

or Sign Up to reply!