(Marketing) - If YOU had £500...

1. 4 years ago

MessyBeat

16 Jan 2017 Power Contributor User since 2016 London, UK + 1907 RP

... to spend on marketing, how/where would you spend it and why?

Would you spend it all or just some?

Please comment below your thoughts and ideas.

2. sontwisted

16 Jan 2017 Power Contributor User since 2015 Brooklyn NY + 2387 RP
    Edited 4 years ago by sontwisted

I would sign up for Aweber $1 first month $29 every month after (this is your email list host) it will be $19 if you don't get over 500 subscribersset up a 10 email auto responder to go out once a week for ten weeks the first email should deliver something for free most likely free beat the next three should be some other free valuable content email 5 should be an offer to purchase from you the next four emails free valuable content email 10 another offer to purchase from you. Create a free Wordpress site to create your squeeze page(this is the page you send people to offering them the free beat in exchange for their email,purchase a domain with monthly hosting $2 or less for the name no more than $10 a month for hosting. Run a $10 a day Facebook ad for 30 days for the first month offering your free beat then run that same ad for 15 days in month two you should end up with roughly 1200 subscribers. Before you spend any of this money find out how to set up a squeeze page and how to setup an effective Facebook ad or you can sign up for music marketing manifesto and get walked step by step through everything I just explained cost $147 then just reduce the advertising days to reflect the remaining budget

3. Question is....are you going for direct/immediate beat sales or are you trying to build an email list to market your beats to?

4. MessyBeat

17 Jan 2017 Power Contributor User since 2016 London, UK + 1907 RP

[quote=11589:@triplehomicide]Question is....are you going for direct/immediate beat sales or are you trying to build an email list to market your beats to?[/quote]

Good question.

Would it be ok if you gave your thoughts on both situations?

5. [quote=11590:@MessyBeatz]Good question.

Would it be ok if you gave your thoughts on both situations?[/quote]

I would say go with Facebook...only because its the cheapest & targeting is a fucking monster. For $500 on FB, you could send around 30,000 people to your site whether its for direct selling or email signups. Thats alotta volume.

I'm currently getting .01 cent clicks to my site using FB ads.

In order to get such cheap traffic, your targeting has to be broad (but still targeted at the right people) and your creative has to be really fuckin dope so that you get a high CTR (5% and better). Video kills images so use a video for your ad.

Whats good about this is, you dont have to spend the whole $500 do this. You could try $100 or less to see if its going to work or not.

6. Liz Vega

17 Jan 2017 User since 2016 + 991 RP

As @MessyBeatz i'm trying to understand how to market my own products.. i've read about twitter and instagram which are the most unlisted social networks, are the FB ads better for marketing own website @triplehomicide ?

7. @Liz Vega

I would say FB is best just for the sake of the amount of traffic you can get.

I get almost 800 people to my site for $10.

Where else can you get that volume from for so cheap? :-D

8. sontwisted

17 Jan 2017 Power Contributor User since 2015 Brooklyn NY + 2387 RP

@Liz Vega twitter is more exspensive than face book and when you run a Facebook ad you get an instagram ad as well and the targeting options on Facebook are so much better

9. MessyBeat

17 Jan 2017 Power Contributor User since 2016 London, UK + 1907 RP

[quote=11597:@triplehomicide]@Liz Vega

I would say FB is best just for the sake of the amount of traffic you can get.

I get almost 800 people to my site for $10.

Where else can you get that volume from for so cheap? :-D[/quote]

[quote=11601:@sontwisted]@Liz Vega twitter is more exspensive than face book and when you run a Facebook ad you get an instagram ad as well and the targeting options on Facebook are so much better[/quote]

Thanks guys - i might give this FB ads a try - any tips on how to set it up?

The 'DOs & DONTs' ?

10. SkillyMusic

17 Jan 2017 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 2598 RP
    Edited 4 years ago by SkillyMusic

[quote=11605:@MessyBeatz]Thanks guys - i might give this FB ads a try - any tips on how to set it up?

The 'DOs & DONTs' ?[/quote]

these are not marketing related but still important:

- Whats extremely important is that you stick to facebook's guidelines. Like the amount of text you have in a picture that you use for ads. Everything in facebook is automated and when your account gets blocked for such a reason, it is a mess to get it back running. Because facebook support is a mess too. You will only receive auto emails.

- Also, make sure your password on facebook is super strong. If it gets hacked and someone is running ads from your account, your account will get blocked too. Facebook is probably smart enough to recognize that the ads were not yours based on your previous spending behaviours. So you will get your money back, but your account will still get blocked I think.

- Also when you set up your account and if you use paypal, you will have to enter a paypal email adress. Now, if you ever change that email adress within paypal, or add another email as your primary paypal adress, don't forget to update it on facebook as well, before running new ads. Otherwise, problems occur with the automated payment...artificial facebook intelligence doesn't know what's happening.... is confused...........voila...account is blocked.

11. Let me show you guys that I'm not bullshittin on what I'm saying.

I just created fresh new ad, with a new creative on a $10 budget. I'm going to run this ad for 10 days to test.

Here are my current results:

12. sontwisted

18 Jan 2017 Power Contributor User since 2015 Brooklyn NY + 2387 RP

@MessyBeatz don't try to target everyone the narrower the better between 500k to 1 million,don't target more than one interest per ad,exclude click farm countries from demographics Indonesia,china India etc

13. sontwisted

18 Jan 2017 Power Contributor User since 2015 Brooklyn NY + 2387 RP

@MessyBeatz if you have an email list. Or artist contacts of at least 100 emails create a custom audience with those emails then create a look a like audience based on that custom audience and select 1% of Facebook that will keep you between the half a mill to mill people

14. Liz Vega

18 Jan 2017 User since 2016 + 991 RP

Thank you guys! I really apprecciate your help! If its the same thing i've tried in the past the ad thing, with just 1€ i've reached like 500 people, but i'm not happy about it. Let me explain:
    I made a video,like a beatmaking video,nothing fancy but i mean it was nice, almost 500 people liked it, but the views were just 40-50... Maybe i did something wrong with this ad, but i didn't reached what i planned to :( As i said maybe we are talking about 2 different things, anyway, any tips are really precious,so thanks again guys!

15. MessyBeat

20 Jan 2017 Power Contributor User since 2016 London, UK + 1907 RP

Sorry guys ive been quite busy - thank you for all the replies. I am going to start doing some tests and see what results I get.

@triplehomicide - was that ad set up for a video? if so what type (was you making a beat, was it a still image with your beat playing in the background or something else?)

And question for anyone really...

Would a video of a still image that has my beat in the background work for something like this on FB or not?

or Sign Up to reply!