Being Criticized for Not Having a Real Job

1. 11 months ago

xii

6 Oct 2016 User since 2015 + 289 RP

I was at my folks house the other day and I have the unfortunate luck of having a strong opinionated father. I don't know how many of you have been criticized of not having a "real" job but it fucking stings, mostly because a member of my family is not supportive.

Yes, I make money off beats but I'm always told its not doctor or lawyer money. I LOVE what I do and although I can't support myself fully on it yet it supplies a very nice stream of income. How do you guys handle the negativity?

@xii to be fair, your family will always be less supportive of you. Your fans will be the most loyal people you know. keep your head up, you will learn to deal with it and laugh about it later on........ while shifting gears in a lambo! (ok that may be extreme but you never know!) Keep your head up!
    +1 for @Nuro

2. Nuro

6 Oct 2016 User since 2016 + 239 RP

Don't worry about it. I've learned long ago that you can't please everyone.

3. TropicBeats

6 Oct 2016 User since 2016 Answer + 695 RP

@xii to be fair, your family will always be less supportive of you. Your fans will be the most loyal people you know. keep your head up, you will learn to deal with it and laugh about it later on........ while shifting gears in a lambo! (ok that may be extreme but you never know!) Keep your head up!
    +1 for @Nuro

4. Razor

13 Oct 2016 User since 2015 Texas + 139 RP

@xii Not sure where you are located but if you need to manage your finances and you live on your own, relocate to an area that doesn't drain the life out of your body. Southern California for example, is nice but it's so damn expensive, that you'll need at least two jobs to pay for everything.

How can you have the energy to make music with those challenges? Make sacrifices now, and profit in the long run.

5. 6 weeks ago

I got flack from my (ex) girlfriend over making music.

I still remember her saying on the way to our trip to New York, "Babes, you should start thinking of getting a real job". That really fucked me up because there's no coming back from that comment.

Really screwed up the trip, and broke up with her immediately after coming back from New York.
    Last week, she reached out to me asking me for a $1000 loan, I was so tempted to say, "You know, you should get a real job" but didn't.

Be around people that believe in you.

6. Tyson

Aug 8 User since 2016 Hawaii + 380 RP

You will ALWAYS have people that criticize you no matter what. Even if you're a millionaire you will have people criticize you about how you got there and what not.

Remove people in your life that don't believe in you. I guess if your own family is criticizing you, that's a tough one and in that case just develop thick skin.

7. xii

Aug 8 User since 2015 + 289 RP

Headphones are the best. When I feel a "talk" coming.......

-image-

8. 5 weeks ago

Mike

Aug 9 User since 2016 New York + 218 RP

Some people don't get the power of music.

9. honestly I ignore all that. I hate to say they hating, but truly it is all hate. don`t worry about how I get mine nah mean as long as I get it specially if I`m getting it in a clean easy way. easy because I, we don't have to follow 8 hour shift. but go deft on them, ignore the negative. that just slow us down, worry about yourself. it doesn't matter how well or bad you are doing people/family always going to find a way to talk, jugged others.

Spacedoutbeats.com

or Sign Up to reply!