Depressed! I Can't Sell My Music

1. 2 years ago

Griffin

15 Mar 2015 User since 2015 Colorado + 877 RP

It's depressing. Nothing is more humiliating than trying to earn a living selling music and in the end I can't sell shit. I had my site up for about 3 months and didn't make one sale and took it down, I can't afford to pay the freaking hosting and player bills every month.

I never used the Soundgine player system and if I do try to sell my music again I'm going with Soundgine. I'm just pissed. I see many people on here making money selling beats! I'm happy for everybody that is making money, but I want to be part of it.

I don't know how to market but if my music is good enough, doesn't that speak for itself? I don't want to work fast food, I want to do what I love! Guys, I need some words and tips. Yet, I am depressed I know I have the will to try again. Will joining Soundgine make me money?

Thanks for listening. I joined the forum because I see there are real people here that have great advise.

Answered by [deleted]

See post in context

I think soundgine, soundcloud, etc.. are the places to start. I don't really think you should make a site until you've got a following and know what you're doing. Heck, I don't even have a "site", yet I do fine (although I actually do have hosting through go daddy which I hardly use because I just figure VUE is easier). In fact, I probably do better because my traffic isn't as divided. And my attention isn't as divided.

I make a living off music alone. But I've also made my cost of living as cheap as it gets, no joke. My rent is $200 + utilities. I have no car. I have no girl, no friends (well, that is, I never hang out with anyone).. hell, I don't even have a bed. I don't have a couch, I don't have a TV.I can't speak for everybody; maybe it comes easy to some people, but as far as I know, it takes a LOT of sacrifice to become successful. You have to eliminate all the distractions, and there are infinite distractions. It won't be handed to you, you have to fight for it. You have to be patient like @Volume mentioned. I make about $800 on average each month and I scrape by, but it's worth it because I know I'm doing what I set out to do, and I'm getting better, stronger, faster every passing day.

I make random sales every now and then, but what really supports me is exclusive work with return clients. I've formed strong relationships with loyal clients and I've built up enough that by the time one client is done with projects for a while, another one fills the void. I'd recommend really seeking out and forming strong, lasting relationships (with people who have money are see the value in paying for beats)

With that said, Marketing IS a big deal. It's great to have skill, but marketing is more important when it comes to sales. There are people that honestly suck but make tons of sales. But if you are just amazingly outstanding, it doesn't have to be nearly as strong.

Do you have a link to your music? Sometimes people are too critical of their own work, and sometimes they are too confident in their own work. It's hard to tell you whether it's a product quality issue or a marketing issue without any link.

2. Volume

15 Mar 2015 User since 2015 London + 499 RP

Look. Ask yourself if you have the patience and determination to see a business through and be honest with yourself. What's the point of starting over if you are just going to give up again. Not being rude but asking you a question most people are afraid to ask.

3. [deleted]

15 Mar 2015 User since 1969

I think soundgine, soundcloud, etc.. are the places to start. I don't really think you should make a site until you've got a following and know what you're doing. Heck, I don't even have a "site", yet I do fine (although I actually do have hosting through go daddy which I hardly use because I just figure VUE is easier). In fact, I probably do better because my traffic isn't as divided. And my attention isn't as divided.

I make a living off music alone. But I've also made my cost of living as cheap as it gets, no joke. My rent is $200 + utilities. I have no car. I have no girl, no friends (well, that is, I never hang out with anyone).. hell, I don't even have a bed. I don't have a couch, I don't have a TV.I can't speak for everybody; maybe it comes easy to some people, but as far as I know, it takes a LOT of sacrifice to become successful. You have to eliminate all the distractions, and there are infinite distractions. It won't be handed to you, you have to fight for it. You have to be patient like @Volume mentioned. I make about $800 on average each month and I scrape by, but it's worth it because I know I'm doing what I set out to do, and I'm getting better, stronger, faster every passing day.

I make random sales every now and then, but what really supports me is exclusive work with return clients. I've formed strong relationships with loyal clients and I've built up enough that by the time one client is done with projects for a while, another one fills the void. I'd recommend really seeking out and forming strong, lasting relationships (with people who have money are see the value in paying for beats)

With that said, Marketing IS a big deal. It's great to have skill, but marketing is more important when it comes to sales. There are people that honestly suck but make tons of sales. But if you are just amazingly outstanding, it doesn't have to be nearly as strong.

Do you have a link to your music? Sometimes people are too critical of their own work, and sometimes they are too confident in their own work. It's hard to tell you whether it's a product quality issue or a marketing issue without any link.

4. VPower

17 Mar 2015 User since 2014 Los Angeles + 783 RP

Basically @OxygenBeats said it all.

Two things:

#1 You had your site up for 3 months then quit

You can't expect to start selling your music within 3 months, that's crazy talk. You should consider the first 6 months as prep and brand building. Yes, you'll be paying for hosting and a music store but consider that an investment for your business.

In fact, this is what separates the boys from the men. If you have patience and consistency as @Volume mentioned earlier and your product is good, you will succeed.

#2 I Don't Know How To Market

You MUST learn how to market. You need to be able to wear both "hats" so to speak. The people here that make money know the basics of marketing. Don't be intimidated by "marketing", heck you might even have fun doing it.

If selling music was easy everybody would be driving a BMW. The fact is, you need to have a backbone to stick with your plan through thick and thin. Ask questions, be fearless.

Worse case scenario selling your music won't support you 100% but like myself and @OxygenBeats an extra $800 a month is kick ass.

5. Griffin

17 Mar 2015 User since 2015 Colorado + 877 RP

I just need to man up I guess guys. Man, I appreciate the straight talk from all of you. I love making music I just have to realize that if i want to make this a reality I have to make sacrifices.

The shitty thing is that I KNOW I don't invest the way I should. I've gone out and spent $100 on shoes. $100 on a date, and been to the movies all this week that probably added up to $60 bucks, and here Im bitching about beat store costs and hosting costs that's way less. The got the game fucked up I guess

The time to play is after you take care of business and take of business as long as it takes. I'm 23 and I guess I JUST need to start dealing business like a grown up, straight up.

I've been watching successful people on Youtube and catch Shark Tank on TV. They all made sacrifices.

Time to man up.

I appreciate the words of wisdom and coaching.

6. Helix

17 Mar 2015 User since 2015 San Diego, California + 676 RP

You know how many times I've seen "producers" complain about the monthly costs to run a business and then promptly see a post about some new game they just bought for the PS4?

Priorities.

7. [deleted]

18 Mar 2015 User since 1969

I'm also 23. And as hard as I work, there's still so much slack for me to pick up. It's definitely all about self discipline. And if you have friends you hang out with, you're going to have to learn to say "no" sometimes... actually, quite often most likely...

And you can't give up. You have to make the decision that you're either going to win or die trying. It's a big commitment to make, and I think it takes some real soul searching.

@Griffin ; it's good to hear you manning up. Most people don't get to that point. Most people just live in constant denial and complacency . Every penny you spend frivelously is hurting your chances of success. And likewise, every second you spend away from your business is hurting you. And time is even more valuable than money. The three things you need to invest are:

Money, Time, Thoughts...

One of the biggest investments people overlook is the investment of your thoughts. You become what you think about. And there's only so much room inside your head for thoughts. Also, once you think something, it's basically impossible to get it out of your head, and it can be tremendously hard to even bury it. Something could be free, and it could take up no time at all, but it could cost you a lot of your thoughts.

Say your girlfriend breaks up with you.. or you just saw an ad for a really cool movie... or there's another girl you think is cute or something... all these things take no money or hardly any time away from you, but they take your thoughts. So now, you're thinking about why your gf broke up with you, and your think about the good ol days. You think about that cool movie and who you should invite to see it with you; what you will wear, should you invite that girl you think is cute?? etc.... and all those thoughts are wasted, because they could have been used thinking about music and business related ideas instead.

I believe a Zen saying goes something like "You have to empty your cup before you can fill it". Ever heard of "Think And Grow Rich"? It's true, you think yourself to success. Your actions simply follow your thoughts.

And that's why I spend so much time talking with you guys. Since I have like no friends I hang out with anymore, I have a hole in my social life. But I choose to fill it by talking with you guys where everything stays relative. But even more than make new friends and networking, talking about all these things with you guys keeps my own mind in the right place.

8. [deleted]

18 Mar 2015 User since 1969

And speaking of socializing/networking.. if anyone wants to add me on facebook, my personal page is

http://www.facebook.com/QuinlanStuwe

I love make new music friends :)

9. maseedproductions

18 Mar 2015 User since 2015 Inland Empire, Ca. + 69 RP
    Edited 2 years ago by maseedproductions

You've stepped into a world that is over-saturated, convoluted, and highly competitive. A quick google search for "buy beats on-line" will show you that. Your consumers are both fickle as hell, opinionated, and in some cases lack focus and direction. Your consumers want to get everything you have to offer for free and even if they did want to pay for it, they usually won't because they either have no money or would rather spend it on more important things like weed, shoes, gear, jewelry, hoes, partying, the turn up, ect.

This is not a thing for the faint of heart to get into. If you're not into taking a deep dive into on-line business marketing, becoming a novice website designer, being a promoter on social networks and lastly, willing to pour your heart and soul into your music then you did the right thing by quitting to make room for the people that are.

I know that sounds harsh and I truly mean no disrespect but I'm telling you like it was once told to me. When you choose this life, you're choosing to attempt to sell a product to the most difficult audience to sell something to because there is an over abundance of it. The minute you stop trying to sell music and instead build and sell a highly demanded brand, is the minute you'll start making money. I've made sells on Soundgine and I just got started a few months back. The truth is, it is possible but it's a tough grind. It's a day by day hustle, I'm constantly learning new marketing tactics and trying different things out to see what works. I'm analyzing the traffic trends on my website, and seeing how I can benefit artists by offering more than just beats for sell. Like Oxygen Beats mentioned, many of us get repeat business from artists that we built relationships with. We've learned to develop the know, like, and trust factors and use them to our advantage.

I'd rather have 10 artist that buy beats and services from me consistently than I would 100 artists who'd buy from me once. You have to be creative with your offerings and figure out other revenue streams that might not actually involve selling your beats like mixing, mastering, graphics, promotion services, authoring e-books, doing tutorial videos, selling mech, ect. You can make a living off of music just realize that doesn't always mean just selling beats. I'm sure the guys that are making sells on here and attest to this.

Peace bro, good luck.

10. sixx

18 Mar 2015 User since 2015 New Mexico + 522 RP

This thread alone is x100 more helpful than 98% of all the music e-books out there.

11. Sound Variety

27 Mar 2015 User since 2015 USA + 831 RP

A lot of good info given here, I'm glad there were people to address his concerns.

12. sixx

13 Jul 2015 User since 2015 New Mexico + 522 RP

Really good info here. Too many producers think all they need to do is load a few beats, put up a beat store and profit immediately, that's so far from the truth.

13. last year

Nuro

12 Jul 2016 User since 2016 + 239 RP

Great thread.

14. wellmein

13 Jul 2016 User since 2014 + 187 RP

@Griffin ; I have sold my first beat after about 1.5 year.. made no invests on adds.. be patient.. try to make better product.. learn everyday about everything related to this bussiness.. dont get stuck on feelings.. just do as more as possible.. focus on action..
    I understand how u feel.. ive been through this too, and a lot of producers know what u talk about

15. Ibsenproducer

13 Jul 2016 Power Contributor User since 2016 Venezuela + 1039 RP

@Griffin I will tell you my history bro, i am from is Venezuela, if you watch the news, my country has economics, social and politican problems, minimum salary is 20$ how much, invest 30-50$ per month is very high for a person in Venezuela , i have 5 month selling beats, its hard but i think is a investment to future, i try do the best of me to find clients, i dont sell so much on my store now, my balance is negative, but we need do the best all days, every day counts :-D , do not feel depressed and have patience. Good day broo ^_^ .

Pd: my English is not the best, sorry hahaha

16. wellmein

14 Jul 2016 User since 2014 + 187 RP

@Ibsenproducer ;   way to go mate! as I said there are a lot of producers that have been through hard times..
    @Griffin ; I hope this thread will inspire you and keep you stright on your objectives.. dont give up!

17. I can totally relate. That's why it's beneficial to educate yourself daily like @maseedproductions said. I just started here and haven't made a sale, but in the past it was more random. It's all about building trust and relationships and setting a standard for yourself. If you noticed there are a lot of "free" cookie cutter beats out there. So "we" have to figure out a way to stand out from the crowd.

18. 3 months ago

Most of us have been through this and it's not a fun place to be. It's enough to make you want to quit but you have to believe in yourself and work hard. I can't emphasize it enough, but the people I personally know that make a real living selling beats work their ass off.

I know other people that post up beats on the player and spend the rest of the day watching T.V. (This is only for people that have already made it and have a following)

If you are getting no traffic or sales that is 100% on you.

What I did was remove the idea of making money out of my head and had fun creating. The money comes as a result of your art.

19. 2 months ago

Not really depressed but discouraged. Two of my colleagues have a Soundgine account and are doing well but I haven't made a sale yet. Everyone talks about being patient but it's really getting to me.

20. an0nym0u5beats

Jul 17 Power Contributor User since 2016 Los Angeles + 1478 RP

+100000000 @maseedproductions

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!