Ouch my Back!

1. last year

8-Bit Crab

5 Oct 2016 User since 2016 San Francisco + 189 RP

Alright so maybe I'm being a little drama queen but for the last month or so my back has been killing me. Admittingly I'm using a standard basic office chair
    http://www.staples.com/Staples-Nadler-Office-Chair-Black/product_1487781

What do you guys use a chair? Any tips on sitting for a long time securing your back?

2. All Star

5 Oct 2016 User since 2016 + 118 RP

@8-Bit Crab

I would find a chair that has armrests and see how that works for you,

My situation is different, my hands get numb. But I think it's because my desk is slightly higher than my chair's armrest which probably isn't good.

3. Berengere

5 Oct 2016 User since 2016 Lisbon + 91 RP

Sitting down for too long of time is bad for you not matter how fit you are. I always ride my bike 1-2 hours a day and move around. Take breaks (o^_^o)

4. SkillyMusic

5 Oct 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 Answer + 2222 RP

@8-Bit Crab Alright so maybe I'm being a little drama queen but for the last month or so my back has been killing me. Admittingly I'm using a standard basic office chair
    http://www.staples.com/Staples-Nadler-Office-Chair-Black/product_1487781

What do you guys use a chair? Any tips on sitting for a long time securing your back?

I switched to a standing desk like two months ago and it's probably one of the best investments I've made. I also work with a different mouse. One that's in front of me not to my right. Because the "mouse movement" that you do like a thousand times a day isn't that healthy either to say the least.

Btw even if you would go to the gym every evening for 2 hours, it still wouldn't compensate your "sitting-day". I mean it's not bad of course, but it's better to move around a couple of times a day like @Berengere does. It's not good to stand all the time either. I switch back and forth between sitting and standing.

Health issues of sitting to long are actually quite shocking. The back isn't the only part of your body that will get hurt. The list is long...and deadly. Just google it.

I created a thread about producing healthy a while ago, because I had the same issues as you! Maybe you'll find some more advice over there. Here's the link: https://soundgine.com/forum/index.php/941-how-to-produce-healthy

5. grim

6 Oct 2016 User since 2016 + 250 RP

@SkillyMusic Think you nailed it.

Your body is not meant to be in a sitting condition all day. It's hard because we are in the middle of making a beat you are super proud of, it's hard to just shut off and go walk around.

But here is a super tip.
    When making beats get up and play your beat on loop, turn it up. Walk around the house and listen to it while you make yourself something to eat or whatever. I have a stationary bike I jump on. The point is taking a break also makes you hear flaws in your production and makes you analyze it more.

Makes you think, "Dang that needs a snare" or "I just turn that part down"

Anyway, as @Berengere and @SkillyMusic have said.
    Don't sit too long, walk around.

I'll be looking at a stand up desk myself too.
    If you have room, have both.

6. 8-Bit Crab

11 Oct 2016 User since 2016 San Francisco + 189 RP
    Edited last year by 8-Bit Crab

Thank you so much! Bought a standing desk to switch off on.

7. 11 months ago

Nuro

16 Dec 2016 User since 2016 + 239 RP

Started getting back problems but I started working out and got the back issues worked out. Make sure your core is strong. A good core will help out the rest of your body.

8. 3 months ago

Kate

Aug 4 User since 2016 Los Angeles + 88 RP

I do a lot of digital art myself, best thing I ever did for myself is to buy a decent chair. I bought this chair a few days ago and makes such a huge difference.

https://www.staples.com/Staples-Rockvale-Luxura-Office-Chair-Black/product_2260347

Now I'm looking for a proper footrest.

9. an0nym0u5beats

Aug 4 Power Contributor User since 2016 Los Angeles + 1662 RP

+1 for a really good chair, foot rest, track ball mouse and frequent breaks to stand, walk around and stretch ;)

10. Hmmm, foot rest. Anybody link up an example of a good foot rest?

11. an0nym0u5beats

Aug 4 Power Contributor User since 2016 Los Angeles + 1662 RP

I use something like this foam one...

https://www.amazon.com/Cushion-Relieve-Thrombosis-Travel-Quality/dp/B01FJ51388/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1501881410&sr=8-14&keywords=office+foot+rest

12. 2 months ago

Wheatz

Aug 24 BC, Canada + 20 RP

Kneeling chairs are great for back pain and maintaining good posture. I think you can get one off amazon for about $90, or head over to Staples or most office supply places. @SkillyMusic is probably doing the most with the standing desk, I've heard they're gamechangers.

or Sign Up to reply!