How Long Until You Gained Traction (Beat Sales)

1. 2 years ago

Griffin

22 Sep 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 Colorado + 1080 RP

I talk to some of the most successful producers making thousands here on Soundgine they all say that it took 1-2 years to gain the proper traction to start making sales. How long did it take you guys to start making money, any money.

Me personally, it took a solid 1.5 years.

What do you say to those that never gain traction?

2. Breeze

22 Sep 2016 User since 2015 London + 838 RP

The first sale is magical, took about 1 year to establish my brand and build my list

It confirms that you are doing something right and it does something to you psychologically. For me getting that first sale made me want to put gasoline into what model and get those sales up, doesn't work that way typically. You need patience and consistency.

3. All Star

22 Sep 2016 User since 2016 + 128 RP

@Breeze' You need patience and consistency.

This is unfortunately what most producers (usually younger) one don't have. The mentality of most of this cats is, "I just cracked FL Studio in under 5 minutes from Pirate Bay, it's been 24 hours and no sales? I'm outta here"

4. grim

22 Sep 2016 User since 2016 + 380 RP

1.5 years
    Only the strong survive

-image-

5. minty

23 Sep 2016 User since 2016 + 390 RP

If you're a brand new producer that is new to marketing as well, its fair to say that it could take 2 years but that's if you take your time. I think having 2 key things is important to boost your identity

1. Awesome beats. If your beats are out of control good, it shouldn't matter how new you are
    2. Funds. Takes money to make money. If you can weather the storm of the costs of having your website and beat store until you gain traction that is a plus.

6. TropicBeats

11 Oct 2016 User since 2016 + 695 RP

I sold my first beat the same night I posted it on myflashstore, which was dumb luck especially the sale came from their marketplace. 1 month later that same client bought the same beat exclusively. Sold about 5 more leases during my 3 month stretch.I stopped selling beats for a while (like 4 years) but im ready to dive back in!

7. ThisIsTheLegion

13 Oct 2016 User since 2015 Answer + 976 RP

I had a little more unusual situation where I had a somewhat established brand as a producer (at least locally) so it gave me a little boost from the start. But, I think there are some things that can really help boost the process of getting to actually selling beats.

I definitely agree with' @minty' that having a great product (beats) and being able to spend some money on marketing are pretty much the key ingredients. I would add great customer service in there too.

Also, using social media is a key part of establishing your brand and starting and growing relationships with customers.

I would take some time to learn about marketing. I'm a big fan of Russell Brunson and his book "Dotcom Secrets." This is a great place to start.

And...if anyone wants to check out a free tutorial I made about marketing yourself as a producer, check out 10kproducer.com. I'd love some feedback on the training if you do check it out.

8. prodbearbeats

19 Oct 2016 User since 2016 UK + 124 RP

I am 2 months in guys. No sales yet although I've worked with a few people on custom music for money. Looking forward to my first online sale! I would love to hear stories of first sales' @Soundgine'

9. last year

killtraxxx

5 Apr 2018 User since 2017 SF + 662 RP

Don't worry about the "traction time" do it because you like making music, the money comes as a result.

10. Listen to' @killtraxxx' speaking the truth here. Everyone story will be a bit different.

or Sign Up to reply!