What to do when your beats not selling?

1. 2 years ago
    Edited 2 years ago by triplehomicide

Been making beats since 2003. During this time I only produced my own solo mixtapes & projects for homies. I decided to start selling my beats online in January. So, its been almost 9 months since I setup my store. My style is dark dirty south & trap production.

During these 9 months, I've invested thousands in marketing & advertising...FB ads, IG ads, YT ads, Twitter ads, Bing & Google ads. Anywhere, I knew I could advertise & promote I was utilizing it. Tried all different types of targeting, images, videos, keywords, etc. I never spam.

I got the best results from FB ads though. Tons of likes, shares, comments and people flooding my inbox about beats. Built my email list to a little over 230. One of my beat videos on YT took off and now has over 54,000 views and gets about 1000 views every other day organically.

With all this being said, I've only managed to get 7 sales. On average, I get a sale every 1.2 months. I haven't been able to get at least 1 sale per day in any of my efforts.

I've tested multiple price points...ran specials (irresistible offers)...had my site redone by one of the top designers for beat sites and many other things. I bought multiple courses. I've read, learned & applied so much game to where I'm in information overload.

Now, I know this is an oversaturated niche. But, what field or niche isn't oversaturated? There are 7 billion people on the planet...pretty much everything is oversaturated.

I have over 70 beats in my store right now. I've got many more that I haven't uploaded yet. I think my beats are dope so I'm not sure whats the problem.

It only cost a little bit of money to keep my website up. I'm not going to stop making beats. Therefore, I'm not giving up.

What is there to do next when your beats aren't selling?

2. Griffin

30 Aug 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 Colorado + 1080 RP

It's only been 9 months.

I know many producers that didn't get traction until the 2 year mark. Many producers don't have the patience to wait that long. In my opinion it takes that long to cement your brand over hundreds of "new" producers. What is your website URL?

3. sixx

30 Aug 2016 User since 2015 New Mexico + 562 RP

Keep it up, if it was easy to just upload beats and makes tons of money right off, everybody would be doing it. Nothing in life worth doing is rarely easy.

Keep building and profit.

4. highflown

31 Aug 2016 User since 2015 + 655 RP

9 months is nothing. Just like Griffin said, put in that work and around 2 or 3 years you'll start seeing tangible results. They don't call it the grind for nothing.

5. OxygenBeats

31 Aug 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 + 3556 RP

Total agree with these guys. Also, it could help if you left a link to your site/page in a signature on the forum. You may have a lot to learn still in terms of marketing and branding.

6. Definitely appreciate the input from you guys. I already knew 9months wasn't that long. So, I just gotta stick with it. Current goal is to hit 100 beats in my store. I should be there mid to end of September.

I wish I would have made my beat site back in 2009 when I started uploading beat making videos to youtube. I didn't know jack shit about beat sites then....but hey... I do now though.

7. sontwisted

31 Aug 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 Brooklyn NY + 2234 RP

you have 230 email subscribers build a relationship with them and turn them into returning customers

8. wellmein

31 Aug 2016 User since 2014 + 187 RP

i agree with all who said about 9 months is still early.
    but take this as an oportunity. find some good artists that have some average audience and make some beats for them specialy, with the condition that they will give a solid credit. the time will work for you this way

9. IsaacTaylor

1 Sep 2016 User since 2014 Nashville, Tn + 590 RP

I feel your pain brotha! One suggestion that's always tried and true is actually hitting the streets and networking in person. Going to shows, handing out your cards, making connections, and following up with those connections. I actually sell most of my tracks OFFLINE.

10. mixscape

6 Sep 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 France + 2861 RP

@triplehomicide' I got the best results from FB ads though. Tons of likes, shares, comments and people flooding my inbox about beats. Built my email list to a little over 230. One of my beat videos on YT took off and now has over 54,000 views and gets about 1000 views every other day organically.

How much money have you invested to get this result ?

11. '@mixscape' I've spent thousands on promo.

12. mixscape

12 Sep 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 France + 2861 RP

'@triplehomicide' ok thanks

13. Edited 2 years ago by triplehomicide

@OxygenBeats' Total agree with these guys. Also, it could help if you left a link to your site/page in a signature on the forum. You may have a lot to learn still in terms of marketing and branding.

Man to be honest. I'm not sure there's much more I could learn. I'm already great at marketing & branding. But, everyday I still add more to that knowledge.

Since I started my beat business, I immediately sought after the best of the best in terms of learning marketing & branding. I'm talking multi-millionaire marketers here. I've learned from their books, webinars, courses, videos, forums & whatever else you can name. I applied it all relentlessly.

As I'm typing this, with a video from Gary Vee playing, he says "...squeezing a raisin for juice, for another year, isn't going to get you anything."

That hit home.

My product is the issue. No one wants my beats. Plain & simple.

14. mckeeverbeatz

19 Sep 2016 User since 2015 Columbus, OH + 510 RP

I completely understand as I just started in the game last year. In my opinion, It's easy to get discouraged in this kind of market. The majority of people and artists alike want something for nothing. They know that if there is a way to get beats for free, why pay? It's sad, but true. The idea is to build strong relationships with artists, and convince them that they are doing the right thing, by paying, and that its beneficial to their career. If they are serious, they will pay. It's an investment for the long run for us producers, and you just have to keep plugging away. It takes a lot more money than I would've thought, when I first started out. Eventually people will begin to recognize your brand, etc. you just have to be persistent. Constantly updating all social media accounts, YouTube, your website, constantly run FB ads, Youtube ads, run special offers on beats, build your email list, and reach out to artists on a one on one basis, consistently. There may be some debate on this, but occasionally throwing a free beat here and there to the right artist with a good following, can help you. It just takes time for the snowball effect to take place. Don't give up brother' @triplehomicide'

Greg,
    mckeeverbeatz.com

15. Man, I really appreciate the positive encouragement. But, the reality is I can't sell my beats. I've only had 8 sales in 10 months and I'm deep in the red with this business with no ROI in sight.

It should not take 2-3 years just to make consistent sales. If Walmart, Chic-Fil-A or any other business had this issue, they would be out of business.

99.8% of the time, people contact me saying how that really like my beats & that they are ready to buy...but no one buys a damn thing. My inbox has HUNDREDS of people saying they are ready to buy beats...0 sales from them though.

There are many producers that don't have half the business knowledge & marketing skills that I have, but they are much more successful than me. Their product is obviously better than mine and makes artists want to spend money with them.

My product is the problem.

I'm just ranting & venting.

16. Griffin

22 Sep 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 Colorado + 1080 RP

@triplehomicide' It should not take 2-3 years just to make consistent sales. If Walmart, Chic-Fil-A or any other business had this issue, they would be out of business.

I disagree. Online and brick–and–mortar businesses are completely different. You put a Walmart in the middle of town and they will instantly make money because they are a recognized brand and foot traffic. It's impossible for them NOT to make sales immediately. Not to mention, food is a necessity, beats are not.

Online businesses are different, you are basically a needle in a haystack especially when you are first starting out. It takes quite some time to build an online reputation, the 2-3 year mark is conservative. If you kick ass and make your brand, marketing and website a daily priority, you make push through within a 1 year mark.

Hundreds of people saying they are ready to buy yet not one person does? That doesn't even sound right. I'm not saying you're lying but either you are exaggerating or you the most unlucky producer in the world.

The important thing is you figured out your "beats" is the issue. Many producers are too arrogant to admit that lack of sales is because of their own beats. The good news is you can change that. Keep making beats and challenge yourself by mimicking beats that are insanely good. Sure, you may not get it the first few times but you'll learn a lot in the process, hence getting better.

Selling beats is a serious grind especially in the beginning, key is to gain traction.

17. '@griffin'

There's a little exaggeration on what I said but there's literally a bunch of people in my inbox inquiring about my beat but haven't made a move.

Someone texted me the other day saying he wrote 15 songs to my beats...I told him my bulk price for those beats & sent him to my website. No move yet.

The point I was making about Walmart or any other business was, if they were starting out and only had 8 sales on the year, they'd be out of business.

18. sontwisted

28 Sep 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 Brooklyn NY + 2234 RP

businesses do take about five years to get to consistent customers but you are getting artist telling you they want your beats then it cant be the beats you just have not convinced them to spend the money yet, keep pushing forward maybe you need to change the tactics if you are sending them to your beats immediately send them to your email list with an offer then use that to build a rapoire with them then send them to your beat site

19. Edited 2 years ago by triplehomicide

'@sontwisted' Yeah because I've gotten numerous people saying my beats are banging. I figured that may be a problem with me not being able to get people to spend money right now and close the deal. My selling needs improvement.

I made some sales videos that I'm going to test out in the meantime to get better.

20. sontwisted

29 Sep 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 Brooklyn NY + 2234 RP

since you spent all this time and money learning marketing i would put together a couple of marketing tips and strategies for the artist on your email list and use that to build the trust and value of your brand then sell beats to them

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!