Using Samples?

1. 3 years ago

What's going on? Just wanted to know your opinion on using samples in your beats whether royalty free or not. Some of the best production is composed with samples from the greats and I even sample myself from time to time. I want to sample a lot more, because I feel as though it sparks creativity when you're out of ideas or would like to recreate your favorite song, but I also want to go about it the right way just in case an artist wants to use it. And let's be honest...we all can't afford to clear samples at least not all of them. How would you go about doing this? Thanks!

2. IsaacTaylor

11 Aug 2016 User since 2014 Nashville, Tn + 682 RP

Honestly, I think you may be overthinking it. Unless you land a placement with a well known artist or are trying to get TV/Film placements , I wouldn't worry about it. Just specify in your agreements that there may be samples used and it's up to the artist to clear them if they feel necessary. Remember that it's easier to ask forgiveness than it is permission! Lol

3. Lol ok then. Thanks for the input.

4. sontwisted

12 Aug 2016 Power Contributor User since 2015 Brooklyn NY + 2249 RP

you don't have to worry about it at all its the artist/record labels job to clear samples you cant even get samples cleared with out having the lyrics first

5. MessyBeat

15 Aug 2016 Power Contributor User since 2016 London, UK + 1872 RP

'@taynoelproductions' don't worry about it too much bro, keep chopping those samples and making those bangers.

Whenever I sell beats using samples I state in the contract that the artist is paying me for the "time" it took me to create the new body of work using said sample and that all samples must be cleared by the artist/label.

Now if you land a placement (big or small) some labels may ask to cut a deal where you (the producer) and (the artist/label) both clear the sample, they will generally look to re-coup this fee from your payment (normally backend payment - royalties etc) - now it is known for some labels to try and haggle to have you clear the sample 100% - NEVER do this - I repeat - NEVER AGREE TO DO THIS! - you will get fucked in the long run.

Peace

6. @MessyBeatz'' @taynoelproductions' don't worry about it too much bro, keep chopping those samples and making those bangers.

Whenever I sell beats using samples I state in the contract that the artist is paying me for the "time" it took me to create the new body of work using said sample and that all samples must be cleared by the artist/label.

Now if you land a placement (big or small) some labels may ask to cut a deal where you (the producer) and (the artist/label) both clear the sample, they will generally look to re-coup this fee from your payment (normally backend payment - royalties etc) - now it is known for some labels to try and haggle to have you clear the sample 100% - NEVER do this - I repeat - NEVER AGREE TO DO THIS! - you will get fucked in the long run.

Peace

Thanks for the advice. Just trying to go about it the right way, because there are songs I want to produce and I know the other artists have no means to clear a sample.

or Sign Up to reply!